Laptop for mom for christmas

Playaa

(edited)

My mother has mentioned that she wants a laptop for christmas since she has wireless internet in her house now (my mom has wireless broadband internet through her house...and I'm still stuck in dialup land).

Anyway, my sister and I are thinking of splitting the price and picking her up something. We just aren't sure what to get.

Walmart has a deal tomorrow (Dec. 7) for an unspecified Gateway for $400 (I can't find stats anywhere so if someone can find some that'd be helpful).

Anyone know of any better deals? Under $400 is optimal...even thinking about getting the Asus Eeepc for her. She basically just needs something to browse the web, do emails, occasionally do a Word document, etc.

My only worry about the Eeepc is that it's only got a 7" screen.

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

If I could think of something other than Iraq to rhyme with Mac this morning you would have gotten a funny limerick.

Do those EeePCs have a VGA output? (I assume they do). Could you find her a less than new CRT to dock it to? Only thing I could think of.

GC Alumni
(edited)

is she really set on a laptop?

"She basically just needs something to browse the web, do emails, occasionally do a Word document, etc."

i don't find the part in here that says "she needs to be able to take it with her."

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...id=7754614

hard to find, but if you can, so worth it. actually, looks like online inventory is restocked. i might have to grab one of these for pops.

or, if you feel like being philanthropic, http://laptopgiving.org/en/index.php

Edited by sj

sorry, I didn't explain properly.

She has a Dell Tower in a computer room. The only things she uses it for are web browsing, emails, occasional documents for church and playing online flash games with my sister. What she wants is the ability to do any of that from anywhere in the house.

Flitterkill's laptop is 17"...not portable enough for my old mother.

I'm pretty sure we're going to get her an Eeepc unless we find a 13-15" for $400 or less pretty soon.

p.s. the Eeepc does have VGA out as well as 3 USB ports, an SDHC port, audio in/out, webcam but no CD/DVD drive.