processors and when they go bad

auggybendoggy

Guys,

I have two pc's for video editing.

my main pc is an e6600 with 4 gb of ram

my second is a p4 3.0 ht with 1 gb of ram

the p4 was taking forever to render videos so I upgraded my pc and made my p4 a second pc.

the p4 had quite working so I exchanged the mb and it works (not fast however).

When I render in Cararra 3d a animation 1 frame on my e6600 takes about 3.5 minutes per frame

my p4 takes approx 36 minutes per frame.

This gap seems to large to me and I'm starting to think my p4 chip may be damaged or is going bad.

What is the likelyness of this happening? Is it even possible?

Aug

I'll drop some thermal paste on there and if it does not speed up I'll prob purch a new proc.

Thanks for the help guys.

Aug

Yeah, I'd say if it's the original factory thermal grease on there then it's not really allowing heat to pass from the processor to the sink as well as it should...hopefully new thermal grease will speed it up considerably...if you've never done it before consult some literature on the process as it is somewhat involved...

(edited)

i doubt thermal paste will "speed up" your processor. The thermal paste just makes the the contact between your heatsink and cpu better. Your processor is probably running hot.

Back when I was building 700Mhz comps, I would experience extreme slow-downs before the cpu got to hot and the machine turned off. The P4's should shutdown before they get to hot.

Here's my opinion on your two builds. First off, if the application is written to handle multiple CPU's then right off the bat, your new machine should take half the time to render. Also your new machine has 4 gigs of ram. Take a look and see how much of that is being used by your rendering application. If it uses more than 1 gig, adding memory to you p4 could cause a significantly increase your performance.

You mentioned you changed the motherboard, why did you do this? It's been a while since I have done this, but some motherboards have awful chipsets. For example, I had a 1.8Ghz Athlon on a crappy motherboard, I noticed a great deal of performance increase when I switched over to a more mainstream chipset.

Last, but not least. How fresh is the install of the operating system and stuff? If your swaping out parts and just stuck a hard drive with XP on it on a random hardware build. It can work, but can cause a significant decrease in performance.

I doubt it's your thermal grease, just take a look in your bios and see how hot she is running, but regardless, if you have none, you might want to put some on there.

Edited by NOFX