What do I need for this Bluray stuff?

VooDooPC

What do I need to play Blurays on my computer besides the Bluray player itself? I know there is all that HDCP jazz, that has requirements for the signal to go through.

I have an EVGA 8800GTX and a Samsung 206bw, using DVI to connect the two.

I wanted to get one of these maybe:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....y+DVD-ROM+Drive

Mainly because it's the only two Bluray players on Newegg. I think Sony has one coming out for $200 that was at CES.

just download your movies to spite the bigwigs who can't decide on a common format. before hd came out when dvd was king i'd download the movies and if i liked them i'd buy the dvd. now dvd is not sufficient for my quality standards but there is no replacement so i'm left downloading the movies and keeping them if i like them until some new format comes out where i can purchase them. i'm hoping soon as i'm down to about 220gigs free from 930 to start. though much of that is tv shows that i'm saving until i can archive them on the next new standard.

i don't see blue ray catching on the way dvd did. there will be another digital standard coming before too long.

No, I do not think that will be the case Cujo. At least for for the next several years. With all of the major studios behind BR, that is our next de-facto standard.

that's depressing then cause it sucks sooo bad. i'm beyond the age of discs. i want solid state drives for every movie. blue ray has higher access time then dvd and still much slower read and write times then modern hard drives(which are already becoming painfully slow). why must we suffer so? i have 700gb or so of stuff that if i ever want to copy to a different drive to re-do any of my system it would take hours to transfer.

not to mention we can get equivalent quality movies at less than half the size of a blue ray disc. MOST 1080p movies can be compressed to 720p h264 and easily fit on a 8.5gb dual layer dvd. there would be no noticeable quality difference between the two. i don't see the need to move to a new standard. companies are so stupid.

why must we suffer so? i have 700gb or so of stuff that if i ever want to copy to a different drive to re-do any of my system it would take hours to transfer.

not to mention we can get equivalent quality movies at less than half the size of a blue ray disc. MOST 1080p movies can be compressed to 720p h264 and easily fit on a 8.5gb dual layer dvd. there would be no noticeable quality difference between the two. i don't see the need to move to a new standard. companies are so stupid.

:hug:

I would wait at least until the summer when BR drives become the norm. HDCP still isn't in effect and might not be for quite some time (although...with Sony around...sigh) and really only requires a digital connection to the panel

why must we suffer so? i have 700gb or so of stuff that if i ever want to copy to a different drive to re-do any of my system it would take hours to transfer.

:hug:

I would wait at least until the summer when BR drives become the norm. HDCP still isn't in effect and might not be for quite some time (although...with Sony around...sigh) and really only requires a digital connection to the panel

my monitor is not hdcp compatible so it looks like i'll have to keep downloading if they screw me over that way as well.

my monitor is not hdcp compatible so it looks like i'll have to keep downloading if they screw me over that way as well.

No DVI? Dude...you're getting a...ok I won't make the joke, but seriously!

I'm so po'd about this whole situation...I've been in a few arguments already with people who seem to think that BR won because it's better...

Man I can't wait until Toshiba makes a BR player

No DVI? Dude...you're getting a...ok I won't make the joke, but seriously!

dvi does not equal hdcp. my monitor came out before the standard existed.

dvi does not equal hdcp. my monitor came out before the standard existed.

Any monitor built with a digital connection post-2002 should be HDCP compliant

Plus, there are already hardware hacks that can circumvent it, by the time you find some content digitally protected in that manner it shouldn't be an issue.