Any Home Theatre folks here

Preacher

(edited)

Well I just ordered this and this and I have 2 other very nice speakers for the rear. I plan to use the 5.1 speakers for the side and front.

Anyway I'm building a room onto the back of my house that will be 20' x 20' for a home theater room. I have a 52" Rear projection Hitachi 1080i TV and a decent DVD Recorder by samsung (couldn't find a link). The room will have a concrete floor covered with carpet and the structure itself will be well insulated, but I want it to be as perfect of an environment for viewing old reruns of Starsky and Hutch as is humanly possible.

Anyone have any advice on insulating the room/sound proofing? Any other thoughts or ideas on the room to make it nicer or better for viewing movies?

Also I am looking for a new remote control to handle everything. I am going back and forth between the logitech harmony and the One4all Kameleon. Other than the fact that I'm using Charter Cable I listed about everything the device will be controlling unless I get a remote controlled fan or something in the room.

Edited by Preacher

Preach, if you're into home theater, you probably know this, but there is tons of helpful info here:

http://www.avsforums.com

And one thing comes to mind that a buddy told me for when I start planning my room. He actually owns a home theater installation company out in Denver. Does the really high end systems for like baseball, football, hockey players,etc. He once told me the best accustical ratio of room width to length is 1W:1.5L. His company's site can be found here:

http://www.iesystemsinc.com/

but I don't think there's a whole lot of info on it for DIYers.

(edited)

You know I was looking in HHGreg this week and I saw for $2400 a 73" DLP TV.... I think I might go get it... as far as home theater if you got the money to shell out a Bose system is awesome. I'd also suggest the theater seating... something like this.. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1184768163197 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1184768163059 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1184768162921 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1184768163335

If you are looking for room idea's this link might help:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dhtw/0...Y_20437,00.html

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/episode_arch...437_487,00.html

Edited by TheBum

If I was building a room to my house just for movies, I would spend no less then a grand on sound. If you cant at least get a good center channel. The center is the most active channel and a tiny speaker will probably sound tiny. I use a cheap $100 KLH center speaker that has 4 4" and a tweet for years now and sounds wonderful for the price. If I were going to buy one today though I would go with something a little bigger. Also I have a Celestion 8" 100w sub and while it is impressive I still want to get something that shakes the couch more but us typical americans don't do that till it breaks. :) I would have went with a higher power head too but I like to crank my music, so may not be a problem for you. They need to start putting component and HDMI inputs in the front of units too if they havent started yet.

Ultimately my stuff is getting pretty old, i just had to to some surround repair one of my front channel speakers that is uses a 5 1/2" driver (sun damage over years). I'm in the market for a new one and Im looking for something that uses and 8" or maybe a pair of 6".

to get to the subject at hand (oops) I hear the harmony remotes are awesome.

My dad has a pretty nice system, Pioneer head, with Yamaha floor speakers that have 15" woofers in it, a decent JBL surround sound with a 12" JBL Power Sub Woofer it's pretty nice and loud although the room isn't quit big enough for the sound he's putting out if you get what I mean, he does more than shake the couch, it's walls and wood floors, haha and kinda the rest of the house... I think that was the saddest thing when I got married and moved out of my parents house, was loosing that surround sound system, HAHA!

i'm trying to figure out why you're pairing such a nice amp with such cheap speakers? as other's have said you should drop at least a grand on speakers.

i got a new set of kef speakers for about half price right around christmas. by far the best speakers i've ever listened to. all i need is a better quality amp and the speakers will sound even better.

Well I got that infinity set for $175 and the reciever I got for $200 and for the price you can't touch either of them. Infinity has prolly the cleanest high and mid sound for low-mid range speakers. I would love to drop a grand on speakers but I'm dropping too many of those grands on building the room already lol.

I'm stuck with the digital equipment (except the remote) but I would love some suggestions on the room for making it acoustically better ie sound proofing etc. I already have a set of recliners and a couch so furniture is all done as well.

I don't know what I'm asking here but I do appriciate all the responses lol

all around the room, wouldn't that look really wierd?

You could put rope lighting behind it with a dimmer switch, man that would be cool. :D I think you could put the drapes in sections and make it look nice, maybe with plants or pictures in between. Much better looking then carpet but I may be wrong. How much would it cost to cover your walls in carpet?

Well I got that infinity set for $175 and the reciever I got for $200 and for the price you can't touch either of them. Infinity has prolly the cleanest high and mid sound for low-mid range speakers. I would love to drop a grand on speakers but I'm dropping too many of those grands on building the room already lol.

oh ok. i was looking at the prices on those links you posted. didn't realize the deals you got.

i don't know much about acoustics but my buddy (who was really into this) used to have towels hanging around his room.

btw, who cares what the room looks like? all that matters is that the movie experience is awesome.

Well I am married so I can't have it looking like some hoosier designed it lol

I think I may just insulate all the walls really good and then put a heavy pad under the floor carpet and carpet the walls. I talked to my nephew today who used to do high end room installs and he agreed the best way to go was to carpet the walls and insulate well.

I'm also doing recessed lighting with 8 lights around the outside of the room and then a large ceiling fan in the middle of the room with a 5 light fixture on it.

Make the floor float (using old hockey pucks is good for this :shrug03: ), this will vastly improve the noise dampening and improve bass response.

Line the walls with empty egg cartons then hang drape to cover them. This is the cheapest way to reinforce the sound in the room. If you can find it, rubber sheeting would work wonders of you lay it down before putting up the egg cartons.

Don't mount the speakers in the ceiling. Make sure they are just above your head when seated (so mostly likely half way down the wall).

The least important speakers are the center rears and the most important are the left center and right (I suggest eventually getting an upgraded center).

Oh, and don't carpet you walls...wait you're from Missouri aren't you? Ok, I guess it's ok to carpet your walls.

Well I am married so I can't have it looking like some hoosier designed it lol

I think I may just insulate all the walls really good and then put a heavy pad under the floor carpet and carpet the walls. I talked to my nephew today who used to do high end room installs and he agreed the best way to go was to carpet the walls and insulate well.

I'm also doing recessed lighting with 8 lights around the outside of the room and then a large ceiling fan in the middle of the room with a 5 light fixture on it.

I take offense to that <_<