Alpine IDA-X100

Bubblegum Bandit

I'm looking at picking one of these up for my car. Curious if anyone has had any dealings with this unit specifically or any of the IDA units from Alpine. I've been out of the car stereo game for awhile, but if I remember correctly Alpines were pretty good units?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/p...?model=iDA-X100

I'm specifically looking for a unit that will control my iphone for not only music but also hands free usage. Basically, hop in the car, plug it in, slide it in the pocket and then not need to touch it until I hop back out of the car. I have done research and I know this unit will do both, I believe I have to purchase the bluetooth add-on to get the hands free though.

Anyway, any thoughts?

I have one of last year's Alpine decks in my car and I love it. I checked out everything I could and Alpine is by far the best head unit money can buy. They are rock solid and have the fastest direct iPod connection on the market (it's still the only true iPod connection that turns your head unit into the iPod control, other decks have the feature but it's no where near as solid).

You will need the bluetooth adapter as far as I know...it runs $220... :(

Well...I talked to support at Crutchfield and since you can't stream music from your iphone in stereo via bluetooth (there is a workaround that will send it in mono but who wants that) I would need the bluetooth adapter for the hands free and the high speed cable for the music streaming. However, both of them will not be connected simultaneously. So I can either have hands free and no access to music or access to music and no phone... I'm going to hold off on a new head unit until they make one that can do both and just drop enough to stream via FM transmitter for now I guess.

Anyone have any good suggestions for those? I have a cheap one with 5 preset frequencies and its junk. Are there any that do a halfway decent job of transmitting?

I know there are headphones for the iphone that allow you to hear when you have an incoming call along with an attachment on them that allow you to talk into without bringing the phone up to your face. I'd imagine there would be something with bluetooth too. I'll search around today here at somepoint to try to get the name of the headphones for a friend of mine just showed me this.

Thanks, but I'm really not looking for headphones. I'm looking for a head unit for my car stereo that will integrate both hands free and music playback from my iphone. According to the Crutchfield rep there are no head units out that will allow me to do both simultaneously.

I might be way off base here, but isn't Bluetooth somewhat...insecure? Under that consideration would you want to be able to have full control over your iPhone via bluetooth?

I have this guy: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/p...?model=CDA-9885

I have my ipod hiding inside my dash hooked up to it, so people cant see it, and I control it all from the head unit. Also have the blue tooth adapter for my phone, which works ok, but a lot of time the people I talk to complain of being able to hear themselves in the background. Also picked up the HD radio unit, which rocks in the city here, as I can pick up all of the "sub" channels, many of which are commercial free :)

• 8 months later...

i used to be a huge alpine fanatic (head unit wise). but the guys that i know at local places and at some bigger shows say that the quality of alpine has dipped pretty considerably since they went mass retail IE crutchfield. pretty disappointing but i tend to trust my tech guys since they each have 20 + years exp in car audio. i used to have an IDA unit but this was before mp3's and the huge amount of the digital age was integrated into head units. it was just a standard flip out monitor + cd/dvd w/ tuner. cost me an arm and a leg at the time but man it was cool having xbox and stuff in my vehicle at the time. lasted a good while too. really good stuff back then.

i have the x100, ive been an alpine installer for 6 years, i love my x100. they just came out with a new model of it for 2009. deff get that one

Where were you when I installed my 6x9's myself in 34 degree (celsius) August heat!? (worst idea ever)

Than I let my alpine play, bumpin new **** from NWA, It was gangsta gangsta at the top of the hit, than I played my own ****, it went something like this.

Cruisin down the street in my 64...

You came back after all this time just to post this...nice.