Laptop SATA HardDrives

anonymo

Ok, I'm looking to finally upgrade my laptop's HD. I'm new to 2.5" drives so I'm more comfortable branching away from WD whom I've always purchased from.

Seagate Momentus 200Gb 7200.2 16mb for $143 (CAD) Newegg Link

Ok, so maybe it's not such a tough decision as Seagate seems to be the only company that sells 200Gb 7200RPM 16mb drives.

So I guess this is where it gets specific. Is there something glaringly wrong with that Seagate drive? Should I get the upgraded version with shock protection? Is there anything else out there? I found this Toshiba on Newegg but can't find it at any stores in Canada :shrug03:

Also, final thought. Infonec (where I found the Seagate) is actually just around the corner from where I work, I could go pick it up at lunch (actually my plan).

Thoughts?

(edited)

I've used and installed several Seagate hard drives and never had a problem. None of them have been laptop hard drives, but the reviews for that one look solid and the performance should be great. I'm a WD guy for the comps I use myself, but Seagate is probably on a similar tier of quality.

Honestly, I'm not sure that you would need shock protection, but for that piddly amount extra I would say go for it. You aren't going around mistreating your laptop and I'm sure it doesn't get jostled too much when used, but either way you'd be covered.

I would give it my thumbs up!

*Has this been set into motion by my not-so-veiled jab in the AoC thread? :D

Edited by boilersax

IN recent years, Seagate seems to have taken the cake as far as reliable HDD's go. My brother's on the Electronic Crimes Task for in the Secret Service and does a lot of computer forensic investigation--he tells me that Seagates not only fail less often, but they're the hardest to destroy.

I also have 2 Seagates in the laptop I'm talking on, and they work fantastically, as well as a Seagate in my desktop at home....

I have the Seagate HDD in my laptop now.

I got it from Dell for a deal ($120) a couple months ago.

I really like it. I had a Dell 80gb 5400 rpm in there and this one is much much faster!

I upgraded my ram (twice) and hdd.. next is cpu or blueray drive.