Army Software

Tyranus

Those of you that dont know I just Re-Uped in the Army national Guard for 6 more years. The Chaplain that I protected over seas created a position for me here. I guess I cant really say where here is lol. Anyway we handle incomming and outgoing soldiers to combat theaters. I have been tasked with creating software. I have an idea of how it would need to look but not the first clue of how to make it. Its basic data entry right now that they use is excel. I am trying to simplify it so rather then entering a bunch of repetitive stuff we could click an option. I guess my question would be is there any beginners software to creating programs. If not is there anyone around these parts that is bored that would be willing to help me. If i can make this happen we would be a step above the active duty sect which would make me look really good. And make my unit get more funding.

Get Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.

For a simple data entry program like you want Visual Basic is an INCREDIBLY easy programming language to learn and the Express Edition is free.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vb/default.aspx

Seriously. Go start learning VB. If what you are looking for is just data entry you can probably have it up and running in a few days if you have never programmed in your life.

(edited)

I just picked up Visual C# express edition. I come from a linux command line/emacs background. I'm trying to learn this stuff as well as teach a friend. Playaa, would your recommend Visual Basic over C#? From the interviews I have been doing and talking around it seems like C# is the happening language.

Edited by NOFX

Short answer:

VB is just as good, but go with C#.

Long answer:

If you are brand spanking new to the programming world I would recommend Visual Basic. If you have a little knowledge I would recommend C#. I was a VB (.Net) programmer for 6 years, I am now a C# programmer (for 6 months). In reality, there is basically nothing that you can do in one language that you can't do in the other. The truth of it is that VB is easier to learn, easier to maintain, easier to read and just plain easier to type. The programming world is full of alot of elitist snobs who think that this ease of use makes it "worse".

However, since the programming world in general believes C# is better, then you should go with C#. That's the reason I went this route because I found it hard to get people to take me seriously as a VB developer. I came into this job with 2 hours worth of C# experience and no more than 10 hours of experience in C-based languages. I was up and running as a full C# programmer in a few days. My current employers have zero idea I had done that little C# before (I said in the interview that I "didn't have alot of C# experience but could pick it up easily" which is obviously the truth).

I will say that programming in a C-based language makes you "feel" like more of a programmer than VB...but I still wouldn't call it better.

(edited)

alright sweet... I heard C# is basically MS's version of Java. I learned Java in school, started working as a c/c++ programmer for the past 3 years in linux. I loaded up the c# express edition and it looked extremely easy to build a GUI. Do you know if there are add-ons or plug ins that allow me to use more widgets than what is currently offered? Maybe the professional edition has them? I'm looking for something basically like a dial widget that can be used as a RPM gauge. I haven't found an easy way to do this in either enviroment, although I did manage to do it using FLTK/FLUID(an open source app that builds GUI's and generates your C++ code)

Edited by NOFX

I have no clue about Visual C# Express. I use Visual Studio at work and I don't program in my spare time (industry burnout...bleh)

I'll answer any questions you have...but you're probably already a better programmer than me anyway.

:)