Xbox dashboard getting a makeover

EbilDustBunny

I have it connected via HDMI. Display settings are 1080p on the 360, reference level Standard. Monitor settings are 1:1 ratio. I could try the VGA cable I bought a while ago, but not sure why that would look better than HDMI.

First off, some games do run natively at 1080p however most are only scaled to it.

Second if your monitor has 1:1 scaling then a 1080p image regardless of the source should produce an exact 1920x1080 image with a blank spot on the bottom from the lack of the 120 extra lines. Is this how you see it?

I have it connected via HDMI. Display settings are 1080p on the 360, reference level Standard. Monitor settings are 1:1 ratio. I could try the VGA cable I bought a while ago, but not sure why that would look better than HDMI.

First off, some games do run natively at 1080p however most are only scaled to it.

Second if your monitor has 1:1 scaling then a 1080p image regardless of the source should produce an exact 1920x1080 image with a blank spot on the bottom from the lack of the 120 extra lines. Is this how you see it?

The image isn't stretched out of proportion, it's stretched to fill the higher resolution. That is internally from the 360. I can run the game at 720p and it would be a little box in the middle of my screen if I have my monitor set to 1:1. If I force my monitor to stretch the image, keeping the aspect ratio, it looks pretty much the same as the 1080p setting in the 360 options.

The only true 1080p game I have for the 360 is Geometry Wars 2.

The image isn't stretched out of proportion, it's stretched to fill the higher resolution. That is internally from the 360. I can run the game at 720p and it would be a little box in the middle of my screen if I have my monitor set to 1:1. If I force my monitor to stretch the image, keeping the aspect ratio, it looks pretty much the same as the 1080p setting in the 360 options.

Uh...i r confused. Now it might have something to do with the HDMI as I don't have any experience with how the 360 treats it but I assume it's the same as using the VGA cable (allows standard width x height resolutions as opposed to 720p/1080i/1080p).

So when you set your monitor to 1:1 and set the 360 to 1920x1080 the image is stretched? The 360 can't (re)scale an already scaled image so if at 1920x1080 the image is stretched it's your monitor doing it not the 360.

Just to clarify our definitions, 1:1 is pixel to pixel?

If the image isn't showing black bar(s) on the top/bottom of the monitor when the 360 is connected, then that isn't 1:1 (pixel to pixel) scaling and that would be why it looks like crap. If that's not the case and it still looks bad, then I would have to think it's the monitor that just doesn't handle HDMI input sources as well as it might. Obviously when you use a monitor as a "TV" (or a TV as a monitor) you are going to have some sort of quality trade-off, but it shouldn't be THAT significant.

When using the HDMI the options are similar to using the VGA cable, but instead of selecting a resolution you select 720p, 1080i, 1080p, ect. If I use 1:1 (pixel to pixel) for 720p and it's dead center of the screen at the proper resolution with a large black border around it. If I use 1080p it fills up the whole screen side to side with black borders on the top and bottom but the image looks blurry, like they simply took the 720p picture and stretched it to fit in 1080p. This is why I don't understand how Boiler's picture can look so much better on a screen twice as large as mine.

Sounds like your monitor isn't handling the input signal properly. My Sony TV does a highly respectable job of even upscaling SD content to it's 1080p native resolution, so an inputed 1080p signal obviously looks amazing. I would also venture a guess that my Sony SXRD has a little better image processing than an LCD monitor, so that might be part of the equation - however I don't think my TV has to do much work with the signal from the xbox to make it look that good. I'd give the VGA cable a try and see if you can set it to something as close to 1080p as possible. It really does sound like your monitor is taking a 720p picture and blowing it up.

Any chance you have a 1080p high def TV somewhat accessible to give it a test? I suppose you could just walk into a Best Buy with your xbox and hook it up to one of their TVs to test it :D

I think Best Buy would kick me out if I did that, but I did buy it there, so maybe not. :D

I tried the VGA cable last night, looks worst than the HDMI. My monitor doesn't have any built in scaling for VGA and since the 360 doesn't have any real 16:10 resolutions it's stretched out as well.

ew!

Well, in that case, I guess all I can say is sorry? I've never hooked my xbox up to a monitor before so I really wouldn't know what to expect. It looks great on my TV though, so I spose you could play it on my TV if it bothers you that much :D