Xbox dashboard getting a makeover

EbilDustBunny

Hey guys... have you heard about xbox360's dashboard getting a make over? It kind of looks like Microsoft's Media Center.

prime360.jpg

Their also putting in a new feature where you get to make or collect different avatars... and then dress them up. You then get to parade them in like a virtual space/room/thing and interact with friends.

I'm not sure how to feel about it. This update is scheduled for Spring 09.

I'm not sure I like it much for the most part, especially since I see nothing wrong with the current blade system. It does look like navigation might be slightly quicker/more intuitive though.

The "Mii60" avatars are very "meh" to me as well. I thought I had heard that this update was coming this fall too, not that I really care all that much!

I figured this was news that everyone knew all to well...

I'm not sure I like it much for the most part, especially since I see nothing wrong with the current blade system. It does look like navigation might be slightly quicker/more intuitive though.

The "Mii60" avatars are very "meh" to me as well. I thought I had heard that this update was coming this fall too, not that I really care all that much!

Uh yeah, the "blade" system is slow, unorganized and ugly (imo), hopefully this will pick up the pace.

Also, the avatar system was/is developed by Rare (pretty much all of the Xbox visuals are now in the hands of the MS Rare team). If you saw the Rare portion of the MS keynote last week there was quite a bit about how much they put into the avatar system, it's quite robust and will change quite a bit about how we use our 360s.

Uh yeah, the "blade" system is slow, unorganized and ugly (imo), hopefully this will pick up the pace.

Also, the avatar system was/is developed by Rare (pretty much all of the Xbox visuals are now in the hands of the MS Rare team). If you saw the Rare portion of the MS keynote last week there was quite a bit about how much they put into the avatar system, it's quite robust and will change quite a bit about how we use our 360s.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to messing with the avatars, despite how Mii-ish they are.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to messing with the avatars, despite how Mii-ish they are.

Over 9000x better than the Miis

There has been talk of Zombie avatars, Master Chief avatars, even TF2 avatars!

I guess I'm just not that big on avatars in general :shrug03:

I don't MIND them (I made one on my Wii), but it's kind of "meh, what's the point?" to me. At least for the multiplayer games I play for the 360, I can't see them as being useful.

The features for the 360 ones do look more impressive and robust than the silly Miis though. The option to download part (or all) of games onto the hard drive prior to playing though DOES interest me greatly though.

The avatars look like a mish mash of Miis and Sims. Creating them looks just like the Sims, the mirror, how their move around when you change stuff, how the items are organized. The avatars faces look very similar to Miis. 360 avatars have more 3D faces but things like the eyes look straight out of the Miis. What would be even cooler than this is having it like Microsoft Comic Chat. Now that would be SWEET!

Fall update also adds support for 1680x1050 over their VGA cable, which would have been nice to have three years ago.

The avatars look like a mish mash of Miis and Sims. Creating them looks just like the Sims, the mirror, how their move around when you change stuff, how the items are organized. The avatars faces look very similar to Miis. 360 avatars have more 3D faces but things like the eyes look straight out of the Miis. What would be even cooler than this is having it like Microsoft Comic Chat. Now that would be SWEET!

Fall update also adds support for 1680x1050 over their VGA cable, which would have been nice to have three years ago.

Oh for the love of everything holy if they don't include 1920x1200 with that I am going to cry.

Oh for the love of everything holy if they don't include 1920x1200 with that I am going to cry.

<passes the kleenex>

How exactly is a 50 inch 1080P TV supposed to look better than running 1080P on a 24 inch monitor? Maybe it's because you sit so far away and don't see how bad it really looks? :)

Because your 24 inch monitor is 1920x1200 and doesn't have a proper scaler in it.

(edited)
How exactly is a 50 inch 1080P TV supposed to look better than running 1080P on a 24 inch monitor? Maybe it's because you sit so far away and don't see how bad it really looks? :)

Because your 24 inch monitor is 1920x1200 and doesn't have a proper scaler in it.

we have a winner.

even when I DO sit close to it, it doesn't look bad at all with a 1080p source since that is it's native resolution.

Not to mention the couch factor... :D

Edited by boilersax

i'm kinda happy they finally put in a 2-8 person chat function via live party.

I've been wanting this ever since I signed up for my gold account!

Yeah the multiple 2 people private chat is SO poiiiintless.

Yeah, talking to ebil all the time is pretty pointless.

:P

...... let the xbox do the scaling for you - set the output on the box to 1080p? The scaling in the xbox is pretty good, so if your monitor has 1:1 scaling, then there shouldn't be any reason that it looks crappy or is trying to stretch 720p into 1080p.

And don't tell me "360 games don't actually run in native 1080p". I know this. I also know having the box set to output 1080p has always resulted in gorgeous images. :shrug03:

I assume the "upscaling" built into the 360 just stretches the 720p image to 1080p. It can't really make games run at 1080p because most 720p games would run horrible if it really did make them 1080p... as cool as that option would be. :)