4850 vs 8800GT

dragonfly

So I know I havent been around in a while, and wont be much in the next 3-4 weeks either. I was just wondering (since I havent had time to research myself) is the extra $$ for the 4850 worth it over an 8800GT?

I sold my pc and am building a new one in a few weeks.

Flitter: you still like your P35 mobo? Which ram do you have with it?

Bush: you still have that e2150 or whatever it is, if so, do you still like it?

Other recommendations are fine, I'm just trying to keep it under ~$700-800. I'm also canadian, so newegg helps me not.

PS Hey guys, how's it going? :)

(edited)

I have a 2160 at 3.2 and it kicks butt for the price but won't be quite as fast as your old CPU at the same clock due to the lack of cache. If you have an extra $100 grab the E8400. Lil more will get you a Q6600. The 2180 is popular now for cheap but as with mine just 1mb at same price point.

I have a Abit IP35-E (P35 chipset) and I love it, just no SLI or raid. Great tweaker board and nice BIOS. Just make sure your cooler fits on it, I had to grind part of my Freezer Pro off to make it fit. My kid's comp has a cheaper Gigabyte P31 board and the BIOS isn't as good as the Abit for overclocking and such. Still running a Celeron DC in it at 2.7 and does a good job for OEM cooling, just can't change the memory timings in the BIOS. If I had a cooler like mine I'm sure it could hit 3.2 the same.

Thanks preach. I already have a HDD, and can get the 500gig WD for $65 with only gst from BC :)

PS Igloo patters are similar to city patterns of the US of A, only cooler. Pun intended.

Thanks bush. I have a couple weeks anyway, and the 8400 might be $10 cheaper by then. :) I dont care about the sli, but I have to consider whether or not I'll want raid later. I guess it's not a necessity.

I was just curious about the 4850/4870 compared to the 8800GT, since I wouldnt mind giving ati a try. I've never owned an ati card to be honest.

Ok, see ya guys in a couple weeks! :D

I trust AnandTech doing benches:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=13

Looks like the 4850 is pulling a 20% fps gain on the GT in a fairly demanding game.

Gotta compare prices tho'

I've seen some other benches with the 4850 running about even or a bit ahead of the 9800Gtx, which is about 20% faster than the GT...

Seems like the 4850 is good bang, now check the buck part out.

I saw 8800GT for $139 the other day on new egg. Looks like the 4850 is running about $189 - 209...that is about what you can get a 9800GTX for.

So...for a 35% price increase (on the very cheap end of the price range) you can get 20-25% FPS increases with the 4850.

Meh...

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, I'ma order this weekend. Any recommendations for the ati names? I havent dealt with any of them before. eVGA has lifetime warranty and a step up program, anyone of those ati guys have lifetime or anything like that?

And about the mobo. I'm leaning towards the P45 by Asus, maybe the P5Q. Should I go pro with that?

sadly, that's the area ati isn't so great at. the best you'll get is a two year warranty i believe and no step up. either way these cards are worth less than 100 bucks after two years so really you'd just get a new one anyway. i'd go with sapphire or asus though honestly they're mostly just re-badged ati referrence cards anyway. maybe find one with a nice after market cooler pre-installed. come to think of it, asus mobos have 3 year warranties so maybe they do the gfx cards the same way.

i've got a p5q deluxe. 0 issues thus far. not sure what the difference in the pro is.

(edited)

Aight, thanks. I was looking at sales and I might be able to get the 4870 for $250 (there are only a few left though) or the 4850 for $180 with the stock cooler. I seem to have read about heat problems with the 4870 as well, having to tweak the fan and what not. I'm leaning towards the 4850 because of $$$ and because the board will have sli anyway (if I ever get back into gaming). But if I go the 4850 route, I want an aftermarket cooler, no? Recommendations?

PS the two brands with those prices were HIS and Visiontek or soemthing like that. Oh, and deluxe is a little above pro for some reason. I didnt take a close look (dialup!) but the deluxe is about $30-50 more.

Edited by DarkArchon

(edited)

Parts ordered:

OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 DDR2 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit

Scythe Mini Ninja Heatpipe Fanless Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S478 S754 S939 80MM 2300RPM 32.2CFM 24.2DBA

Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio

Samsung SH-S202J DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 12X IDE Black DVD Writer OEM W/ Vista SW

ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 Crossfire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA Motherboard

OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail

HIS Radeon HD 4850 625MHZ 512MB 1.986GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card *IR-$10*

Racedriver Grid Codemaster (PC Game - OEM DVD-ROM) ** AMD / ATI Promo Bundle Only ** FREE!!!

Total including tax/shipping: $943

Total including rebates: ~$880

I definitely went over-budget, but hey, you only live once. I coulda saved on the ram, but meh.

Edited by DarkArchon

Parts ordered:

OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 DDR2 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit

Scythe Mini Ninja Heatpipe Fanless Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S478 S754 S939 80MM 2300RPM 32.2CFM 24.2DBA

Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio

Samsung SH-S202J DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 12X IDE Black DVD Writer OEM W/ Vista SW

ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 Crossfire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA Motherboard

OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail

HIS Radeon HD 4850 625MHZ 512MB 1.986GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card *IR-$10*

Racedriver Grid Codemaster (PC Game - OEM DVD-ROM) ** AMD / ATI Promo Bundle Only ** FREE!!!

Total including tax/shipping: $943

Total including rebates: ~$880

I definitely went over-budget, but hey, you only live once. I coulda saved on the ram, but meh.

I'm not trying to rain on any parades, but the antec 300 has been getting horrible reviews from a few of the site/rags that I trust.

But that said, I love my OCZ and my E8400 so rock on!

I wanna see some number/benches soon bro!

I've read that cable management isn't the best, but that airflow is ok. I dont really care how pretty it is, but I definitely did like the price :) I guess you get what you pay for eh?

I should have numbers for you in two weeks, Lord willing. You get yours to 4ghz yet tek?

I was going to, but it was about 1/2 the price ;)

I got a 900 and it's a wonderful case. I picked mine up for $100 shipped. Considering I only buy a case about once every 10 years, I thought I might splurge. :prplwacko: The 300 seems decent for the price though.