Canon Loyalty Program

anonymo

Has anyone heard of this? Supposedly if you have an out of warranty Canon camera (SD series) working or not you can trade it in to Canon for an upgraded (refurbished) unit, most notably the Canon EOS Rebel XT for $275 with a kit lens. I have the link bookmarked at home with the specifics so if I remember I'll post the details. From searching Google I've found the phone number to call to inquire (as Canon doesn't actively advertise this deal) 866-443-8002.

I'm hoping I can take advantage of this deal here in Canada because ever since I got my SD600 I've wanted a DSLR :freak:

What about the Canon Powershot G5? ... we have one of those, and it doesn't work any more. Just shuts off randomly when you're trying to take pictures. It does still take really nice pictures ... just really annoying. In fact, I just tossed it in the garbage last night ....... but the garbage hasn't gone out yet.

Edited by Bewildered

(edited)

HOLY CRAP, LINK PLZ.

I have an S500 that I love, but if I could trade it for a DSLR for that cheap I would do it in a heartbeat.

*Just read a TON of comments about it on FatWallet. I read all 28 pages, seems like the real deal. My S500 doesn't have any major issues except for the fact the images look kinda blurry when viewing at 100%.

Edited by boilersax

Whoa, we should totally get a photography forum going then. :)

I've been chatting with NOFX a lot on DSLR's, but with this much interest, why not have a Photography forum? We could answer questions, critique photos, etc.

What about the Canon Powershot G5? ... we have one of those, and it doesn't work any more. Just shuts off randomly when you're trying to take pictures. It does still take really nice pictures ... just really annoying. In fact, I just tossed it in the garbage last night ....... but the garbage hasn't gone out yet.

I think it was on the list...I stumbled upon it last night and never posted it, thought I could find the exact page again today with google but have been unsuccessful.

I know pretty much every camera on the SD line qualifies along with some from the G series but I can't remember exactly which...

now I just have to either break my in-perfect-condition SD600 or find a someone willing to give me theirs that may be somewhat naive about the whole thing :freak:

Wait, didn't you say in your original post "working or not"? Why break it?

To save you a little time, here are some key elements gleaned from reading all 28 pages of that FatWallet deal forum.

1. The camera must be defective in some fashion. You can probably make something up for a working one, but it had better make sense. If you make something up and they can't duplicate it when they receive it (after you've paid for and been shipped the replacement, mind you) it will probably be chalked up to "can not duplicate" and that's the end of it. Many of the S and SD family have known CCD issues that may qualify you for this offer.

2. If you have a defective camera, you can be offered a "loyalty upgrade" of something in a similar "tier" of quality. For instance, I don't believe the lower-end A-series are eligible for the Rebel XT upgrade, but they can get offers for higher-end SD models.

3. When you call, ask to speak with tech support first. They will ask you for the problem, at which point you can mention (or they may offer themselves) the loyalty upgrade program, give you a case number, then forward you to the loyalty program people.

4. The Rebel XT was being reported as "backordered" last week, but there are posts from people saying they have already received their XT that was said to be backordered when they ordered it.

I'm sure there was more, but those should be the biggies.

I think it was on the list...I stumbled upon it last night and never posted it, thought I could find the exact page again today with google but have been unsuccessful.

I know pretty much every camera on the SD line qualifies along with some from the G series but I can't remember exactly which...

:boing:

Yay ... its like it was meant to be. Things been lyin in the desk drawer for a year when we found out it'd cost 200 bucks to fix; and we're like, not worth paying that to fix 2004 technology.

backordered again but its ordered

So they transferred me to tech support, and tried to diagnose.

1. Have you charged your battery lately. I answered, that we replaced the battery.

2. Then she had me take the battery out, and hold the power button down for 10 seconds and put em back in. This may or may not have fixed it, but since its not readily reproducible ... she gave me the option to do the upgrade or wait to see if that fixes it. I chose the upgrade at which point she transferred me.

Apparently they don't fix these, they get "recycled".

Edited by Bewildered

(edited)

I'm giving serious consideration to this, but the only downside is my S500 doesn't have any MAJOR issues besides the fact that most of my images look a little fuzzy when viewing them at 100%. If I did this upgrade, I would then be without a true point and shoot camera, which my wife wants. I suppose if I upgraded that I could buy another P&S later for $150 or something for her.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I believe that the camera that is defective also must be out of warranty. I don't know what the warranty period is off the top of my head, but I'm guessing it's no more than 2 years.

Edited by boilersax

Definitely upgrade your P&S for an XT and then buy a cheap p&s for your wife. Unclean, I second the photography forum. Even if stays dead alot a few of us will check it out and share ideas. hook it up!

whoa.. I hope this is all true. I have a 1.5 year old sd800 which is, unfortunately, in perfect working condition. What should I do to "break" it???

Well, technically, I wouldn't have had to do anything to "break" mine. Of course, what I said was true, but they have no idea true or no. You could search the net for problems specific to the camera. The problem I mentioned, apparently is common with the G5. Beings that its really intermittent, its impossible to take a quick look at it and determine if its a lie or not. Also, they said on the phone that they don't refurbish these, they get recycled -- which to me means that they aint gonna check if its broke or not. In fact, we ended not knowing if it was broke. Now, in my case it was still broke. The wifey played around with it and it started doing its thing again.

Haven't got the new camera yet, they estimated 1-2 weeks.

Edited by Bewildered

(edited)

You got about a week to go. That XT, being a 3 year old camera is light years ahead of any P&S. BTW, I have an SD850. Same model as yours, but mine has more of a wide angle lens. Those are really good for P&S's. Just tell them that it turns off on you randomly.

If you don't want to give it up, I've seen good used Nikon D40's go for as little as $350 with kit lens on ebay.

Edited by NOFX

If you're a total n00b, figure out what your current lens *can't* do for you right now. :) You should probably go through 1000-2000 pictures before you know. And that may sound like a lot, but it really isn't for a dSLR.

Some things to evaluate on a lens:

Does the lens have the appropriate range? Wide angle, zoom, etc?

Does it focus quickly enough for your needs?

How does your lens perform under your normal lighting conditions?

Is lens noise a factor?

How's the weight?

How the camera coming bewildered?

So I got a problem... I own the the sd800, I took it out to the beach last weekend. I turned it on tonight and auto focus sounds horrible. I don't think it is doing any damage when its being used, but it reminds me of someone who doesn't know how to drive a 5 speed and is grinding gears.

Is there anything you can tell me about this upgrade? Do you just call them up and ask them about it? And you can get an XT for $275? Can you get a different camera? I may end up doing this just to have a second body or possible christmas present for someone.

How the camera coming bewildered?

So I got a problem... I own the the sd800, I took it out to the beach last weekend. I turned it on tonight and auto focus sounds horrible. I don't think it is doing any damage when its being used, but it reminds me of someone who doesn't know how to drive a 5 speed and is grinding gears.

Is there anything you can tell me about this upgrade? Do you just call them up and ask them about it? And you can get an XT for $275? Can you get a different camera? I may end up doing this just to have a second body or possible christmas present for someone.

check my post above (#9) for answers to most of your questions. You will probably have to go through some minor troubleshooting over the phone with their support people. Upgrades being offered for SD line cameras also included their top-end P&S line (I can't remember the name off the top of my head) in addition to the XT.

Wish I could justify spending the $275 myself, but I just can't spend that kind of money right now on a camera I don't NEED.