New Years Resolution 2009

Xterminator

So I've finally decided to start working out again. I used to go to the gym a couple times a week back in my school days (3+ years ago) but as soon as I graduated I stopped going. Over the years i've noticed that i've put on a bit of weight and could look better. I'm in no sense over weight but I am a bit out of shape. I've decided in 2009 to join a gym and get a trainer.

I've already selected a gym based on the personal trainer. My best friends sister has been working there for several years as a personal trainer. She's a good friend of mine and because of the person I am I dont want to upset my friends. The reason I say this is because i'll find any excuse not to go and do something I dont wanna do. This way if I even consider ditching a training session i'll have that on my mind!

I dont have any huge goals in mind, i'm not trying to get ripped but I wouldn't mind having a nice body like I used to! once I start up i'll let you all know my progress! This will be early january because she's all booked up and I dont want a different trainer. Wish me luck!

X

I got out of going to the gym this past spring :( Gained like 20 lbs. Then lost most of it all in a few months. That's what happens when you stop eating 3500 calories a day. I did hang on to about 6 lbs of muscle though.. Good luck, maybe I should do the same for new years.

Dang, if you wanna keep it, it's got to be a lifestyle change !!! 20mins a few days a week of, 5 sets of 5 lifting heavy and slow is what i do. Mostly upper body stuff on my end. Lift a day, take a day off, life a day take one off, etc etc. And yea im around the same, 3500 calories a day plus vitamins. It's getting me a pound every other week which isn't bad at all for me. My strenght has tripled though in the last 3 months. Im dong a 15 down to 1 then back up to 15 pushup program, 5 sets of 5 pullups, curls, chest flys and presses and that's about it. The pullups is where i am getting the biggest strength gains i can tell you that. I don't have a lot of weights at my disposal yet so i use my body weight to train a lot for now. Going to invest in a nice bench soon. I been buying some pretty nice weights up till now so they cost a little bit.

My friend and I just did some pushups this summer. I was able to (by the end of the summer) do ~28 of the kind where you place your thumbs together and index's together to make a triangle, then put your hands under your chest and go to full extension then back down to touch your chest to your hands. We also did them with our feet on filing cabinets (around 4.5 feet high) sets of 20-30. It was a lot of fun.

Good job man. Why did you stop ?!!! At 28 you were just getting your ams started with muscle.

Pushups are tricky, more then people think. I do 15 then stretch, 14 stretch, 13 stretch etc down to 1 then back up to 15, however many that is. Some days i can't finish if i had a hard day at work, some days i can. Switch hand positions every 5 sets so it works diff parts of your chest. Keeping the triangle pushup for all of them is isolating too much !

Also like in the military. UP .... .... DOWN... .... (but not resting on your chest).. UP.... ..... DOWN all slow and controlled. Don't cheat yourselves !

I got my workout from an empolyee of mine. He's 6'1 250 maybe 10% body fat. 23inch arms, guys a beast. The workout was killing me at first, to the point my arms were so sore the next day i didn't want to go to work lol. It gets better though. Im gaining weight and gaining definition in a hurry. People around have asked if i started working out because my arms are swelling up rapidly lol.

Edited by All Kill3r

Thanks killer. I actually needed to do that one position lots to beat my brother in a contest, which I did win by the way :)

I dont ever rest, it's just up and down. I like pushups because 1 it takes no equipment and 2 you can do them about anywhere or anytime. I could do probably about 55 regular pushups, but only 28 of those triangular ones. I may start back up... tonight!

I would like to have my own bench and stuff, but it just isn't going to work in my townhouse. I don't have enough room. So I am forced to get a gym membership.

I started going to the gym about this time last year with absolute zero experience in the gym. It took me about 2 months before I really figured out what I was doing. I did no cardio, just strength train. High weight, low reps. For about 4-5 months I just wanted to see how much weight/muscle I could gain..

It definitely was a lifestyle change.. I even stopped drinking all together for like half a year I didn't touch a beer. So with all of this talk. I signed up at the Y again over the weekend. I'm going to see if I can get back into it. I got one last good night of drinking in Saturday and calling it quits for a while.

I'm going to take a different approach this time. Last time I was doing nothing but strength training. I'm going to see if I can cut back just a little on high weight/low reps and get a workout going that is somewhat in between strength training and low weight/high reps. 2 times a week and then doing cardio one or two days a week. I think Im going to try swimming out. Instead of getting the strongest I can, Im just going to see if I can get in really good shape overall.

It definitely was a lifestyle change.. I even stopped drinking all together for like half a year I didn't touch a beer. So with all of this talk. I signed up at the Y again over the weekend. I'm going to see if I can get back into it. I got one last good night of drinking in Saturday and calling it quits for a while.

heres an article that may interest u about alcohol and fitness

T-Nation

..awsome website, has some really interesting articles

Little slow on the reply, but congrats on wanting to get back into it. I'm personally in a rut, where going out to the bars is sounding much more fun that going to the gym =\... As for pushups, I used to eleveate my feet, and then do pushups between two benches (hands on the benches) so that way you get a more intense range of motion. Place a 45lbs plate on your back and you're in the a workout of a lifetime haha. Something that's a little easier and still intense is doing a 3x3x3 workout. What you do, is you start with your hands in a widestance (about 8 inches wider than shoulder width) do 3 pushups, then move to normal (shoulderwidth) do 3, and then the narrowstance (the triangle works here) 3 times, take a 30 second break, and do it again. I usually do 2 or 3 sets before I start working out with weights, and it's added HUGE amounts of size to my chest (along with dumbell flyes). It's sad, I have stretchmarks all across my chest from doing dumbell flyes haha.

Squinty >.<