Zune 3.0

[LaW]Maverick

Please don't turn this into another iPod vs. Zune thread...I just thought I'd post up a quick review of the Zune 3.0 highlights. I would say what I like and dislike, but so far I haven't found anything to dislike.

-WiFi Marketplace access: this is sweet! I can now download music directly to my device in any WiFi hotspot without the use of my computer. When I plug it in next, everything syncs up and I'm good to go.

-FM Radio Tagging: this is also pretty sweet, but the only downside is that I think the station needs to support RDS. However, using the the built in FM tuner to discover new music is sweet, and I don't have to jot down the name of the song to remember to download it later.

-AUDIBLE SUPPORT: The Zune now has Audible.com support which is GREAT for someone like me who enjoys audiobooks. It's about bloody time--it's the one feature the iPod had that I really wish the Zune did.

-MixView: It's sweet! Not only does it look fantastic, but it's intuitive and easy to use and actually makes GOOD recomendations.

-Games: The update only came with two, but I have about 6 on my Zune. They're alright, but nothing to get ridiculously excited about. Hexic is very addictive though.

-Streamlining: the software has been streamlined somewhat and looks good but also runs better than it used to.

All in all, Zune 3.0 is a pretty killer update.

(please note how I avoided comparing it directly to a certain other player--please have the same courtesy to others who might ACTUALLY be curious about the update) :)

Mixview doesn't work with some bands (no fancy pictures and text scrolling across). I could understand it doesn't work for more obscure bands, but I was surprised to find out it doesn't work for Guns n Roses or Stone Temple Pilots. Two fairly popular bands.

Edited by VooDooPC

that does look pretty cool - social music discovery is one of my favorite past times. but it sounds like it relies on only the zune social community; how big is that, and is it based on approved connections, or automatically associated by music preference (like last.fm).

btw, if you're not a last.fm user, i highly recommend it. not sure if it scrobbles from the zune, but i'd have to assume it does...somehow.

the reviews i've heard about genius are pretty good, but you do get the outlier bands that have no associations. i haven't used it - i'm too impatient for it to index my 200gb library, and i'm pretty sure there is a conflict of interest between the itunes store and my consumption preference *wink wink*