Best Sports Car

gOOters

Corvette? IMO the Z06 is probably the most performance/dollar you can buy. Viper is up there too. Either of these sub $70K cars will keep up with or whoop $125K+ cars like Porsche and Ferrari.

Of course, I cant afford any of these cars at all. Closer to my price range...

Base 350Z is about $25K not bad! The touring model looks best to me though.

M3 := owns all. I've been in every Corvette from classic Stingrays to a zr-1 with the 405hp setup...and they're nice. I've been in a 911, 928 (got to drive this handmade beauty), 944. They're nice too.

But the M3 := is a sedan that keeps up with them all (in all but extreme drag racing) and keeps up on a track...and it has a full back seat and you're girlfriend/wife won't make you sell it when you have kids.

IMO the M3 := is the king of king's kings. Unless you can afford an M5 :blink: .

Chief

Actually an inline 6. If I was rich, I would probably wait a year or two for my M3...rumor is the Bavarians are dropping a V-8 into the three series in the fairly near future.

The M3 is an impressive machine, and for a daily driver (or even a weekend warrior on the track) one would be hard pressed to find a better sports car for the dollar. The Corvette Z06 will beat the Bimmer when you look at the numbers, but the BMW does what it does (which is impressive as it is VERY fast) with a bit more panache. imho

P.S. pricetag around $50K.

For some strange reason I thought the M3 actually had an 8 in it, sould be a 6 though. The BMW 3-series is one of the most amazing line of cars ever. The traction control system in them is spectacular to watch. If you ever get a chance to see the Speed Channel's show on the 3-series with them testing it at the BMW test center, watch it! They have a wet skid pad that is pretty much just black asphalt that is soaked with an inch or 2 of water spray and they took them out on it. They showed it with the TCS on and off, and boy does that thing work miracles! They were carving corners like it was nothing. So yes, my vote would be for the M3.

But!... I would have to say for the money, Goot was right on with the 350Z. Those are amazingly powerful cars too. Real head-turning style too. I drool everytime I see one.

If you ever get a chance to see the Speed Channel's show on the 3-series with them testing it at the BMW test center, watch it!

Pfffh! Watch it. My buddy's from China and working on his undergrad here at Purdue and he has '02 M3 with SMG and he'll just let ya borrow it to go to Indy or Chicago. I personally don't have the guts to borrow the car because I could not afford it if ANYthing happened. But another buddy borrows it all the time and we have made the 80 mile trip down to Indy in short time.

It's a 6, but it's amazing how it pulls like an 8 from very low speeds...thanks to it's willingness to spool up some RPMs.

As for cruising...done it in a ZR-1 and I think I like the understated appearance of a classy BMW. BUt the Corvette can go topless and that is worth mega points. Unless I can have both a convertible Corvette and an M3, I want the M3.

:wub:

Chief

Why not get a ragtop M3. I saw a silver one at the local track last summer...pretty sweet. Owned/Driven (into the ground) by some 19 year old :rolleyes: Must say it looked nice. Also, the difference between the ZR-1 and the C5 is pretty radical.

Did the ZR-1 have the extra keyswitch above the tranny Chief? I believe most ZR-1's had the option to add the "extra power" with the turning of a key (maybe the ability to disable 2 cylinders for everyday use?) Anywho, the ZR-1 I was in had that...pretty neat-o

gOOt, most newer Corvettes(specially ZR-1 & ZO6)have circuitry in the ecm that forces that driver to shift from 1st to 4th at lower RPM driving, but when you get into it and use them all YOU'RE GONE<looking in rear view mirror> :lol:

That is true of the automatics. I dont think the Z06 is available as an automatic? Yeah, the computer controls on these vettes is amazing. There is actually another place to put your ignition key in the old ZR-1 however, and it boosted HP from the 3oo's to like 400 or something. Figured that it simply activated all the cylinders or something?

The electronics in automobiles nowadays are insane. My family and I were racing at Mid-Ohio a few years ago and the ZR-1 were as fast as the race prepared class. My dad has a '64 coupe. 327/300hp w/4-speed. That was stock. The engine was rebuilt 2 years ago by a NASCAR Engine builder. The car screams. You can start from a compete stop in 3rd gear. But I didn't know about the key in the ZR-1, I just like them :D

For the emissions MPG rating that is corporate wide for tax penalties GM has an electronically controlled sensor in the manuals in corvettes and F-cars that forces you to shift past second gear in less agressive driving. It's like adaptive transmissions in automatic, but this forces control of which manual gears are available. I do not know if they are still putting them in the new cars now that they have the new engine design. But they did do this on manuals for several years at least recently.

The Zr-1 i was in had 405 standard horsepower available from the standard ignition switch. I never saw anything about other model years like you're talking about but it sounds a lot like what they're doing now with variable valve timing and shutting down unneeded cylinders.

The corvette did have selective suspension option by the gear shifter to select between "perf" "sport" "tour" for variable ride dynamics, but only one ignition switch and only one horsepower mode. bAaMdEaRsIsCvA8N!

Chief

It's a federal tax imposed on manufacturers as a part of getting fleet efficiencies in line. For a while companies were selling 40000000000 Excursion type gas guzzlers and 3 hybrids and averaging two model lines and saying the company was good for 20 mpg...instead of saying it was really as a fleet of individual vehicles getting like 12.

Now the incentive is to make all car lines balanced...and individual cars with really bad economy have to pay a hefty gaz guzzler tax.. But i've heard they might drop it.

Chief

Guest Captain Pants
Guest Captain Pants
Guest Captain Pants
Guests

I've heard great things about the BMW M series, but I just love Corvettes, so I'm gonna have to go with that. Vipers are nice too, but way too expensive for only 500 HP... especially when you consider the thing has a 500 cid V10... that thing should be pushing out MORE POWAH. Then I'd consider saving up for/financing one :D

Guest Captain Pants
Guest Captain Pants
Guest Captain Pants
Guests

Oh, and anything that is a convertible rules. Unless it's an old Volkswagon...... seriously, Rabbits, Cabriolets...... A Volkswagon Thing.... have you ever seen those? Ugliest things ever. And slow...

And Pants

(edited)

If we're going to go full-price and allow 911s...

ga_0351_f_rear34.jpg

Then I'm dropping my $70k on an M5

PS. This tank carries your girlfriend, your buddy and his lady, and your luggage to the track so that you can best a 911 to 60mph by .2 seconds. Luckily, the 911 driver didn't have room to bring friends so he won't be too embarrassed. But the 911s are something to look at...yum!

Chief

Edited by Chief