iPhone 3G help

ZesteR

Hey iPhone users,

I sync my calendar with Outlook 2007 through vista and I do not get any categories. Everything is blue.

I use to have different colors for work and school, etc, but there is no way to add that to an event thru the iphone or have it sync my categories from outlook.

is this just me or is this with every iphone?

the one thing that makes me question this is b/c my friend has an old iphone and he updated the firmware and he's got it.

thanks,

zest

u can have categories for events in Outlook's calendar. It's the norm with most calendars.

I have events for school, they are red

I have events for work, they are orange

social parties, they are blue

etc etc

My outlook calendar sync'd great with my old palm treo 650 and made for colorful calendars, but when i sync my iphone, it just has them show up as blue.

And i go on apple.com and pics of the iphone calendar show colorful events.

i want that!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/calendar.html

Edited by ZesteR

fwiw, in ical, the cute colors you're talking about are actually different calender (profiles) loaded into one calendar. so, technically, i've got three calendars being managed by one calendar. totally doesn't make sense, right? it's sort of similar to the multiple calendar idea on gcal. sorta.

two dumb questions.

1. are you using exchange to access your calendar? can you?

2. have you tried using mobileme (free trial) with outlook?

either of those might help, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

and christ, give apple a break. it's not like the zune works with os x (natively) :D

fwiw, in ical, the cute colors you're talking about are actually different calender (profiles) loaded into one calendar. so, technically, i've got three calendars being managed by one calendar. totally doesn't make sense, right? it's sort of similar to the multiple calendar idea on gcal. sorta.

two dumb questions.

and christ, give apple a break. it's not like the zune works with os x (natively) :D

I cannot completely leave my Windows system behind like I thought I would be able to. Mail.App doesn't work with our exchange (but my iphone does? Weird) and Entourage F's everything up. It's created duplicates of everything, puts deleted items back on the calendar, and creates blank and empty emails. What a dumb program. Just when you thought Outlook could not get any worse, they create a bastard child called Entourage. God help us.

to be fair, you guys (zd) have a jacked up exchange environment...

zester - if you can create multiple calendars in your one outlook profile, this should work, too. i've repressed all of my outlook memories, so i'm not sure if that's an option.

Yeah, our exchange environment is a bit odd but it is not jacked up. That still doesn't explain why Entourage sucks.

Entourage sucks due to a proliferation of un-talented actors and the fact that every time Turtle opens his mouth I want to punch him in the face. Jeremy Piven can't cure all ills, folks.

Yeah, our exchange environment is a bit odd but it is not jacked up. That still doesn't explain why Entourage sucks.
no, it doesn't. but this does. entourage is crap, but microsoft thought it would be a good idea to license it with their office bundle (right - microsoft didn't develop entourage).

wait, that doesn't explain it either.

your exchange environment sucks. there we go. :lol2:

two dumb questions.

1. I am not using exchange to access my calendar. I use Outlook 2007, use iTunes 8 to sync it to my iphone. that's it. and no i won't use exchange unless i really have to.

2. i haven't tried mobileme, but thought about it, how much is it a month? i'm already paying 30 a month for 3g, prob. wont tack on another monthly bill.

and i'm only bashing certain parts of the iphone.

I have an old treo 650 that has this ability to sync to Outlook 2007 and have calendars.

It has stereo bluetooth - iphone does not.

I can't even send a picture message like i use to.

Overall i'm very happy with apple and my iphone, they do things much better than my treo, but i'm just surprised it's lacking of standard abilities.

Of course down the road a firmware update can change all this, so im not witchin', just moanin'.

mobileme is $100/year, i think. then again, i also thought 3g customers got a free activation code. i'm probably wrong on that part.

*shrug* @ the standard abilities. i don't have bluetooth headset that i'd want to listen to anything in stero with, my calendars sync, and i've never mms'd in my life. e-mail. e, mail. :D

well i have a lot of neices and nephew's as of the past year and all my sister's are mms'ing me their pics and i get a ridiculous txt saying i have to log into a site and enter a password to view it.. with all that work involved, why couldnt they just send me the pic?

i work on machines, and clean em, when i go to off track sites to work on their machines, i love to listen to my own music, and not have a cord around getting in the way (even when it's inside my shirt)

I got a nice motorola s9 last christmas and now it just sits there, waiting.

side note:

normal headsets dont fit in my ears, is there a alternative for the iphones headset that includes a mic?? like one with foam?

Edited by ZesteR

when u guys said different calendars, i know what u mean, each color is a calendar, outlook puts them all in one calendar, so when you sync up to iphone, it see's ONE calendar and assigns it one color.

did a little bit of research with different search criteria and found out i have to make different calendars in Outlook 2007 and drag/drop (wonder if there is a batch way of doing this) all the events I want into one calendar (work) and others (school), etc.

iTunes will now see multiple calendars that I can sync to the iphone. the iphone gives it it's own colors and it's up to me to now change outlook to match iphone.