Gyro's!!!

Playaa

So I have fallen in LOVE with gyro's...these things are INCREDIBLE! (mostly because of the Feta cheese) and if you eat them with chicken instead of beef or lamb there is pretty much not a single thing in these that is bad for you.

I've been trying to make them on my own at home and I'm doing a pretty good job of it so far, my only problem is finding the right kind of pita.

I don't like my gyro's when they are stuffed inside the pita...I am looking for the kind of pita that you can fold around the gyro (looks very similar to the shell on a Taco Bell Gordita). I have tried a couple different brands but none of them work. The closest one I've found is a brand called "Kangaroo" but it still has the problem of breaking in half when folded.

Anyone got any help?

Recipe's for good Tzatziki? (I prefer it to humus)

use real pitas, not pita pockets or pocket bread. i usually throw them in the microwave for 25-35 seconds to soften them up, which usually helps with breakage. well, don't overstuff it either :D

maybe i'm not eating the real thing, but never had a gyro with feta, usually just the tzatziki, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, meat, and pita. for a real treat, lather it with srirach hot chili sauce. there's a great mediterranean place around the corner from me that makes teh best; they use tzatziki instead of tahini, but also have a schwarma style that is deathly good.

dude, it's totally gyro wednesday. thanks!

I'm interested to see how you cook the meat at home. Anything but a vertical spit is disqualified! :D

Ya... It's kind of hard to find those grills around here. <_< Most of the gyro meat is pre-cooked and pre-cut to long-flat shape to imitate the "sliced" meat.

maybe i'm not eating the real thing, but never had a gyro with feta, usually just the tzatziki, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, meat, and pita. for a real treat, lather it with srirach hot chili sauce. there's a great mediterranean place around the corner from me that makes teh best; they use tzatziki instead of tahini, but also have a schwarma style that is deathly good.

The Greek deli here uses feta.

I'll have to try the microwave trick. Maybe that's what I'm missing.

Feta is what makes it taste incredible. I had never had feta until recently and it is an amazing cheese.

The best part about gyro's I think is that they aren't that bad for you. Especially if you have chicken...everything in there (including the sauce) is healthy.

(edited)
Microwaving the pita prior to bending it did not produce the desired results. (i.e. it broke)

Feta = good cheese. Where is "wat"?

When microwaving... put food wrap over the plate, so it will trap the moisture. You probably need to nuke it for about 30sec.

If that doesn't work, add a few drops of water on the plate and try again.

Edited by shoot