Web Page Programming Question

boiler

I have a client who is asking me to put together a website for a conference he is hosting that will function as not only an informational site but also as a place for attendees to register and pay for the conference. I have not programmed this type of site before as all my previous work has been HTML, and am wondering as to the best way to program this. I don't know much about .asp and .php, but am very willing to learn if need be. I am using Dreamweaver 8, so if there is a plug-in/add-on that can help me do this through Dreamweaver, that would be great. (fyi, please don't tell me to use notepad or vi or something - I paid my dues with that crap and hated most of it - Dreamweaver is my preference :))

It will not be critical for the payment to be fully fleshed out like an online retail store (he doesn't have the infrastructure for that) but it will need to be secure, obviously.

Any and all help and suggestions is/are much appreciated! :)

If another programming type besides html is best, then please recommend a book or something that would be helpful for getting some basic knowledge of the language so that I can get it programmed.

Thanks!!

is it cost effective to learn on the fly, or do you want to build off an existing framework, or do you want hosted options?

...and is there anything behind the "user registration," or is that an assumed requirement for the payment process? ie, are there other functions the user will be able to do, or just register and pay?

Thanks, FK, I'll take a look at the eventbright thing.

I guess I figured that this is something that I will need to eventually learn anyway, so learning on the fly is absolutely a possibility (gotta learn it sometime, right?). I won't be able to actually start programming it until December or so, so there is plenty of time for me to start doing research. This isn't a time-critical project (at least not for a little while).

Like I said, if there is a software module or something that can help me build it, then that would be an ok solution (even if it costs money). I just basically feel like I need to expand my knowledge in this area anyway so that I ensure I am offering the most appropriate solutions for my current and future clients. HTML will be fine for the majority of the stuff I am doing, but I know every once in a while I'll get a request like this.

Confused yet? I hope this is making some sense...

Not true. I do my .Net programming on a Lenovo T61p that work provided for me.

Ok, occasionally I launch Parallels and have myself a copy of TinyXP2 running so I can do some .Net programming on my Mac...but I feel guilty whenever I do.

I'm trying to find time myself for learning php.

i'll just throw this out there...

through my professional network with other startups/entrepreneurs/people who don't have IT budgets, there's no shortage of work. most of these guys are comfortable with (capable) people who want to learn on the fly, but are willing to do it at a reduced or free rate. because of the inherent licensing fees with proprietary languages, most of these guys default to php/mysq.

translated: if you're one of those people who can't learn something without an application for doing it, here's your application.

matt@albiniak.com or pm.

i'll just throw this out there...

through my professional network with other startups/entrepreneurs/people who don't have IT budgets, there's no shortage of work. most of these guys are comfortable with (capable) people who want to learn on the fly, but are willing to do it at a reduced or free rate. because of the inherent licensing fees with proprietary languages, most of these guys default to php/mysql.

translated: if you're one of those people who can't learn something without an application for doing it, here's your application.

matt@albiniak.com or pm.

this information may be relevant to my interests... needs to think it over

one that came up yesterday:

crawl the secure side of monster.com to scrape info from particular resumes (type=pharmacist), dumped into mysql with future plans to create a filtered frontend for recruiters to access. at this point, just crawl and dump.

edit: yes, he has a login. no, i'm not sure if its against the tos. even if it is, i'm sure he'll want to pursue it.