Left 4 Dead

YoMamma

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man i cant wait to play this. sounds awesome !!! i have a rule about having the physical discs when i buy a game tho. so gotta wait for retail.

Same here, so I pre-ordered the game through GameStop and they sent me a code via e-mail so I can play the Demo early.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Anyone care to test out my "harder than expert" difficulty?

-Boss zombies are harder to kill and their cooldown for skills are reduced.

-Zombies in general are harder to kill (excluding headshots). They have 5 times more health than normal.

-Can only get knocked down 1 time.

-Getting hit from behind incurs more damage.

-Painkillers only give a 35 temporary health boost.

-Are blinded longer when a Boomer vomits on you

-Are hit for more damage if you are incapacitated.

-If you are revived, you get 50 temporary health, increased from 30.

-If you catch on fire, you get get hurt more than normal.

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/77750/impossible-wip1.cfg

The bots can't even get out of the Apartment now...

...nevermind, they beat the apartment level... boo.

Edited by JackieChan

Heh, I met up with Warpig, Peeku, and Samurai Nightling last night as well. We played Expert, but I swear the server we were on had the settings upped. We got ANNIHILATED! Course, it didn't help that everyone was way to busy shooting each other up to bother with those pesky zombies heh :). After that met up with Monk and BigChief. That went about as well heh :).

Shaftiel

GC Alumni
Heh, I met up with Warpig, Peeku, and Samurai Nightling last night as well. We played Expert, but I swear the server we were on had the settings upped. We got ANNIHILATED! Course, it didn't help that everyone was way to busy shooting each other up to bother with those pesky zombies heh :). After that met up with Monk and BigChief. That went about as well heh :).

Shaftiel

Expert is a huge step up from Advanced. Lose 20 health per hit, no first aid kits scattered around the level (excluding the safe room), more frequent bosses and more of a chance to run into a witch or tank. Friendly fire damage multiplier is increased from advanced, same with getting hit from behind (theres no damage multiplier for frontal hits).

My best strategy I can give anyone is if you're being overwhelmed by zombies, corner yourself and start spamming melee (especially if you get "boomered". Can't get hit from behind and you're always knocking zombies back and blowing their heads off... unless a smoker or a hunter decides you look tasty and wants to pounce/Lickitung you.

Shaft, send me a message on Steam Friends if you want to try it with (don't mean to toot my own horn, but... toot toot) someone who has beaten expert several times :)

Edited by JackieChan

Are we going to have a server for this even though there is the whole crummy lobby/finding game system? Do you think it's possible to run a bunch of dedicated servers on the same machine? There's only four players and I've heard the Director AI doesn't use as much as Valve says it does.

Are we going to have a server for this even though there is the whole crummy lobby/finding game system? Do you think it's possible to run a bunch of dedicated servers on the same machine? There's only four players and I've heard the Director AI doesn't use as much as Valve says it does.

If we did, we could have it specific to GC.

Made sv_steamgroup_exclusive not connect to matchmaking. Removed sv_unreserve, private servers should sv_steamgroup_exclusive now

Cooool. I thought they only had the friends specific thing, which kind of annoyed me. It's nice that they have a group specific option. We should find out how many people pre-ordered and how many people plan on getting it so we can estimate how often the server will be full and things like that.

It's 4 players for campaign mode as Voodoo says, but I think it's 8 players for versus mode with 4 players as Survivors and 4 as Infected bosses like Hunters and Boomers. I don't know how much different performance would be for what is being proposed ("a bunch of dedicated servers on the same machine"), but 8 for versus mode should be the max for any one game.

As for those who didn't preorder Left 4 Dead yet, Circuit City is advertising $39.99 for the PC when it comes out as opposed to $44.99 on Steam. Not much of a difference with sales tax (I don't know if there's free shipping if you order online), but you could save a dollar or two. Hopefully there is still a Circuit City around your area if you think about buying it there; they're running ads here on television declaring they are shutting down a number of stores in my area. GC gave me the heads up beforehand though:

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...hl=circuit+city

I'm thinking of getting Left 4 Dead if I can get the $39.99 deal, although sometimes I'm lucky and can get recent games for $24.99 at Best Buy; they sometimes slash prices for certain PC games in half during December for fairly recent releases (I got BioShock about a year ago for that price, even though it was released in August 2007 roughly). They may end up doing it for a game like Dead Space instead and not for Left 4 Dead since the release date is too close to the holidays. :unsure:

Who's up for playing through a movie (or campaign) as soon as the game is released tonight?

Yes, I will be there. Time you want to meet up?

I found a cool new way to the subway entrance as well. After you exit the alleyway from the apartment, go across the street to the stairs and landing. Follow the building to behind the truck. There is a break in the fence that allows you to get into the empty lot. Go across the lot to the far end and there is a hallway the takes you around to the back side near the subway entrance. It was clear of zombies the two times I went that way, and I was able to walk past all the zombies by the cars without incident and get to the safe room.

Shaftiel

Yeah, the alternate route seems pretty safe. There may be a few zombies in that building, but only a few (at least during the couple of times I've run through there). Gotta watch out at the stairway leading from the street to the safe room still; sometimes a Smoker will spawn near the wrecked car below and grab you before you can get to the door, or a Boomer will vomit on/attack you near the top of the stairway. :freak3: You could also try jumping from the rooftop at the beginning to the ventilation units in the alleyway to bypass the entire apartment, but that's risky. :unsure:

Ugh I wish I could Jackie... Who's up for it in the evening of tomorrow night? Say around 6pm tomorrow Tuesday?

I'll join ya tomorrow too :)

Who's up for playing through a movie (or campaign) as soon as the game is released tonight?

I found a cool new way to the subway entrance as well. After you exit the alleyway from the apartment, go across the street to the stairs and landing. Follow the building to behind the truck. There is a break in the fence that allows you to get into the empty lot. Go across the lot to the far end and there is a hallway the takes you around to the back side near the subway entrance. It was clear of zombies the two times I went that way, and I was able to walk past all the zombies by the cars without incident and get to the safe room.

Shaftiel

I'll be online when the clock hits midnight, I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Also, VooDoo, I'll let you know as well. Maybe we can get another GCer in as well.

Isn't there an option now, on the demo at least, to join a steam group lobby? We have a L4D GC steam group, couldn't we just create a lobby for only the members of that group? Never tried it, just think it might be possible. At the very least we can create a friends only lobby.

Shaftiel

Ugh I wish I could Jackie... Who's up for it in the evening of tomorrow night? Say around 6pm tomorrow Tuesday?

I'll join ya tomorrow too :)

Shaftiel

I'll be online when the clock hits midnight, I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Also, VooDoo, I'll let you know as well. Maybe we can get another GCer in as well.

GC Alumni

Okay, I think I found out a way if we get a dedicated exclusively to the GC guys, we could be able to join it via matchmaking lobby.

I'm going to try this out tomorrow and if anyone else who wants to test it out with me, be my guest.

sv_search_key then the what you want below like

"sv_search_key gc" or something like that. I think people need to enter that via console (at least the lobby host does) to search for servers with the search key the same as what the server has it's search key set to.

I got the sv_steamgroup working, so I know that works good... wish they added a simpler method to start a lobby and search for servers specific to your steam group without directly joining the server... unless I'm missing something obvious... if I am, please point it out.

edit*

well, i haven't figured it out =\

Edited by JackieChan