Vista woes

Clueless

Ok...Vista being right on par for crappy releases from Microsoft, I expect some quirks, and even live with many of them because my laptop is the only thing using this OS...and I intend to keep it that way, but the one issue that is making me wanna slam this thing to the concrete and mail it to Bill Gates is the networking issue I am having.

about 60% of the time when I fire this thing up, it automatically does the network thing, which is normally a great thing, except that vista only logs in with internet access about 40% of the time, the rest is just local access....forcing me to swear and tap the keys with more force than required while I manually disconnect and reconnect, which at that point, it will give me the internet. Is there a fix to annoying problem?

Ok...before you start....no iCrowd plz...i know, "get a Mac"....well, I am not doing it, this is what I have, so save your keystrokes unless relevant to fixing this issue please...kthx :D

Depending on which version of Vista you have, you can "downgrade" to XP pro if you have the right disc (a holograph system builder disc is what I've used for a couple of downgrades in the office). We downgraded Vista Business without issues on 2 machines this way and are in compliance with the license.

See http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f...erencesheet.pdf

To ad to mrX's post, by "downgrade", I belive he means you can downgrade the license. You can't pop in an XP disk and "downgrade" the Vista install to XP though. You'll have to do a fresh install of XP. But in regards to the license, Microsoft typically let's OS license holders downgrade to a previous version.

My first thought is that you should check the router first and maybe change the channel. Depending on how old the router is you may also consider updating the firmware on it. Has this been happening for as long as you've been using Vista on that laptop? I have had zero issues with Vista's networking stuff (wired and wireless) and have found that I have to fiddle with stuff more frequently on my wife's laptop running XP than mine running Vista. It's very rare in both instances, but I don't think I would call this a "Vista Issue".

I could be wrong, but checking for hardware faults might be a good starting place.