Iceworld?

nut

Are you kidding me? A WHOLE DAY?!?! Look, there's already enough traffic with regulars in the server, do you know what kind of players an all iceworld server brings in? Unless an admin had an entire day to devote to policing the server it's a horrible idea.

Are you kidding me? A WHOLE DAY?!?! Look, there's already enough traffic with regulars in the server, do you know what kind of players an all iceworld server brings in? Unless an admin had an entire day to devote to policing the server it's a horrible idea.

easy captain kill fun

I don't think having that on retro would be a good idea, but having a 24/7 iceworld server on the ds would be possible i'm sure..

A buddy let me set up a CS server on his work network for my clan back in 2002. He ran his own business and had office space in a research park where rent included access to a T1 internal line uptrunked to 2xOC3 pairs. I got it up and as a stress test, put on 24/7 Iceworld. Within about 3-4 days, he contacted me saying the network people for the research park said it either had to come down or he'd get charged because it was taking up the majority of the bw for the entire park.

True, this was years ago so the netcode has surely improved, but I would still imagine, with a 24/7 Iceworld, it'd probably stay full the majority of the time and the traffic would be ridiculous.

yeah, traffic is ridiculous to those servers, but the box should be able to handle it.

I know sj and mookie are busy with other things, but if it would happen, i'd suggest:

-24/7 same map

-12 person server

-no ff

-no flash bangs

-no voice chat

-no sprays

+any other variables we can change to make it gc quality without admins present

nut
(edited)

Ok maybe a whole day is a little insane... but you know what i mean... it's fast fun and i think a lot of people on this forum that at one time played CS would come out and play. I'll part with the whole day but maybe when the server has no people it can revert to iceworld and then when it fills up it stays as iceworld? San' is right though that could bring in a bunch of sloppy no good rats.

just an idea

Edited by nut