Computer Shutting OFF when starting CS

DNA

If it's a heating issue w/ the video card, you can either return it under warranty, or just use RivaTuner and beef up the fan speed. I have 2 8800GT 512 SC cards, and they would run hot and crash on Crysis (70-80c), beefed up the fan to 50% instead of 30, and now everything is happy. And the noise increase was minimal if that is a big issue for you.

And now that I think about it, your card may have a "safety" feature that will shut down the computer when your card hits a certain temp. They do the same thing on motherboards for CPU's that get too hot.

Getting a 3rd party cooler works too, however I recommend getting Riva, it's easy to setup also. If you need help let me know, or I'm sure others could help too.

Edited by NorgmaN

If it's a heating issue w/ the video card, you can either return it under warranty, or just use RivaTuner and beef up the fan speed. I have 2 8800GT 512 SC cards, and they would run hot and crash on Crysis (70-80c), beefed up the fan to 50% instead of 30, and now everything is happy. And the noise increase was minimal if that is a big issue for you.

And now that I think about it, your card may have a "safety" feature that will shut down the computer when your card hits a certain temp. They do the same thing on motherboards for CPU's that get too hot.

Getting a 3rd party cooler works too, however I recommend getting Riva, it's easy to setup also. If you need help let me know, or I'm sure others could help too.

I did get riva and use to set to 100% but the card still runs a little hot, but atleast i can play. I saw a ASUS 4850 with a Zalman fan for $129 free shipping so i may get that if things get worse.

Well I'm just glad that my input helped u find the problem. :D I really like this gtx260 cuz under load its at 58-59C with 40% fan, if i beef that up to 100%, well I never have a heating issue to even think of doing that lol.

It did help..and thank you. Now I saw that newegg had a 260 on sale for $189, and I found a 4850 for $129, which one is better, and why?? I have heard that the 4850 get realy really hot....

The first generation of 48xx cards ran hot but they could run at higher temps. I however have to bump up my fan speeds on my 4870 x2 or my system will restart or hard lock or whatever. It seems the ATi drivers do not always auto throttle the fans. You can set the fan speed yourself though through the ATI driver control panel in the Overdrive section. Just unlock it (do not change the clock settings though) and set the fan speed to like 50%. It gets slightly louder but not enough to bother you and the temps will stay within spec all the time. If you have to go higher than that, then either you are playing in a boiler room or your case's air flow needs fixing.

actually to my surprise i installed a different video driver and it fixed the problem... i play CS with no REboots... and everything runs fine now.. =x.

My computer is acting so weird lately.

but i have decided to upgrade it with the ghetto parts... other then the single 512 chip and two 256 sticks of ram... i am going to get 2 1 gig sticks for 22 bucks. a new power supply and case.

This has truly inspired me!

• 2 weeks later...

so i tried everything I can think of and n0w still have the same issue. So i sat down today and did 3 hours of trouble shooting. What i came up with is it is the PSU. It is two small is what i am thinking. I came to this conclusion when i tested disconnecting all my HD's (3 of them) and only running the one with OS and Steam on it. When I did this everything worked out well, NO shutdown. When I connected the other HD's and ran CS it would shut down. So I think the draw is tooo much. I am thinking my PSU is maybe 500watts (did not look as it is on the side that is covered), but I did test the PSU with a tested and all the rails came up good and within range.

So i used the newegg PSU cal, and it is recommending 581watts, which if I am right that my current PSU is only 500 would seem to fit.

Does anyone second my reasoning here?? Or suggestions about the PSU size or commendations? They have a nice 80plus cert 650 Consair PSU at newegg that is like $80-90 after rebate...???

I'm not really sure of the math they use for their calculations. Thermaltake has a utility I have used and for my system it says 356 watts, Newegg doesn't take into account even half of the factors and they are out of date when it comes to modern video cards and the like and so I substituted an 8800gtx for my 4870 and it came up with over 600 watts needed.

I just don't know buddy.

I'm not really sure of the math they use for their calculations. Thermaltake has a utility I have used and for my system it says 356 watts, Newegg doesn't take into account even half of the factors and they are out of date when it comes to modern video cards and the like and so I substituted an 8800gtx for my 4870 and it came up with over 600 watts needed.

I just don't know buddy.

What are your spec's and PSU that you use currently?

700watt Coolmax modular PSU

Gigabyte Micro ATX Motherboard

E8400 C2D CPU w/ stock HS/92mm Fan

Powercolor ATI HD4700

4x 2GB DDR2 800

2 120mm led fans

3 80mm led fans

2 7200x hard drives

1 DVDRW drive

one LED fan controler

2 4" cold cathode tubes

Front LCD temp display on case

USB KB

USB Mouse

USB Laser Printer

USB remote control

USB sound controler

USB headset

700watt Coolmax modular PSU

Gigabyte Micro ATX Motherboard

E8400 C2D CPU w/ stock HS/92mm Fan

Powercolor ATI HD4700

4x 2GB DDR2 800

2 120mm led fans

3 80mm led fans

2 7200x hard drives

1 DVDRW drive

one LED fan controler

2 4" cold cathode tubes

Front LCD temp display on case

USB KB

USB Mouse

USB Laser Printer

USB remote control

USB sound controler

USB headset

ya I have almost the exact same thing except 1 more HD and the 8800gts instead, but with a 500watt PSU. So the 650 or a 700 would work for me I would think.

Thanks for the information Preacher..and Happy Holidays to you on this christmas day.

Okay so I thought I had figured out but I got another symptom here. I DL'd Bioshock (hey for $4.99 how can i pass it up). Went to play and 2 min's into game it crashed just like in source. So i unhook the other hd's and boot up. Start it again and they I get some graphics stuttering and then a crash to desktop saying the display driver failed. So i am now thinking it is the card and not the power supply. I check the PSU today and it is 500watts with 38amps on the 12v rail so that should not be the issue. So either the driver is all messed up or the card is going bad or should I say is bad. I wish I had another pci-e card to test this theory out...:( Any input for you guys...????

DNA

Okay I order a Corsair tx650w PSU should be here by wed ($99 + free shipping and $20 rebate on top of that). Seems like a good PSU 52A and 80%+ eff. I will let you know...