Low cost budget surveillance for driveway

ZesteR

Hey gc,

I'm gonna get right to it.. I've got someone or something coming onto the property and doing things to items in my yard and my car:

The straw that broke the camel's back is a broken windshield on my car. (def. not a rock from driving)

I would like to setup so sort of surveillance to record any/all activity that goes on.

e.g.

People walking, Cars coming and going, uninvited neighbor's cat who craps in our yard, possible suspects in vandalism.

I'm beyond mad with this, and would like to take matters into my own hands, but not take the law into my own hands.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I thought of some sort of network camera, but I do want to get footage at night.

Maybe a hunting camera that takes pics? I don't think they have a very far range.

Thanks!

I have this one for seeing who is at the front door and where my kids and dogs are http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=24...CAM&cat=VID

They work great but you will need a power hook-up at the camera site (standard 110 plug-in) They are wireless as far as the signal transmission but don't run on batteries. That's what I wanted anyway as mine are set-up as permanent rather than a temp solution.

I have it hooked into my TV on aux3 so I can just switch it with my remote to see who is at the door or to check on the kids in the back yard while they are swimming. They are also all night vision cameras so they're pretty cool :)

Edited by Preacher

I would prob. do the same and just have the video recorded onto tapes?

Would sound like a good idea... if it was 1985...

Been the tech savvy community we are in 2008, I would think you would opt for setting up a small computer with a large hard drive that has the ability to store 8+ hours of incoming crappy resolution video.

On a serious note, you can find them selling just once of these types of cameras that has infrared.. I have ones nad it's wireless. The only downside of wireless is that if you leave it on for extended periods of time, you will need it plugged into the power adapter at all times. Simple s-video out.

Set your computer up to record s-video in and you are set, but tapes would work fine if you still have a tape player sitting around..

wow, now that I have thought about it, I haven't owned a tape player since I moved out of my parents house in 2000...

Edited by .fx

Hey Zest... a better solution would be to set up a light... a motion sensor light up front... so when the person comes up to your drive way to do whatever the light will turn on and that might scare them off. Or it will let you know if someones there... or a neighbor..

At my house we have a half acre.. set motion lights in the back on the side of the house and one in the front. another plus to that is that when you come home the light will turn on and it makes things nice.

Just an idea :) gluck!

I have a motion sensor light, 2 flood lights.

This "attack" happened this morning between the hours of 8am and 10am.

I have a place for it already and a power supply for it (outlet)

Edited by ZesteR

No, they won't do anything about it.. no evidence.

I did contact the landlords, so they might file a complaint.

I honestly think it's my neighbor.. who i truely dislike a lot!!! (i'm not typing out why, i just do, too long to do so)

http://twitpic.com/tvhk

here's a link of what he did.

He's got a dog, who he neglects and doesnt feed all the time. The dog dug a lot of holes "escaping" but he's stupid and comes back. The owners, my neighbor, always ends up filling in the holes with stuff from my side. so a lot of times i pull the crap out of the holes and put the things back. Lately the dog has been afk. no idea where he is, hopefully a safer home.

But the picture shows a pot with dirt in it, from my attempt of a garden this year. The stakes inside of it for the tomatoes are metal. The crack in my windshield that I received looks like it came from the end of one of those stakes.

Edited by ZesteR

I like that preacher.

being that it's wireless. that would make it pretty nice, being that it's in a outside area.

wonder if it's worth getting audio?

m2, those motion sensors, wonder how far away they will respond? b/c i dont always park in the same spot.

Edited by ZesteR

This one here is similar to the one I used to have. Mine came with the cable and caputure card and software but you can buy it separately from this guy and it would all still be cheaper. Just make sure the cable is long enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Indoor-Outdoor-30-LED-...%3A1|240%3A1318

HERE YOU GO! A complete kit with everything including cable, card, software and all for 99 bucks. This is basically what I bought for almost 3 times the price two years ago. http://cgi.ebay.com/1-X-36LED-Night-Vision...%3A1|240%3A1318

I built a small birdhouse for my camera before I moved and never used it. I no longer have it as it is a real bird house now but we built it so that the camera would not be easily seen and would provide some weather protection. They are not nearly as big as they look in the picture either. That is the way I would go as long as you have a spare clunker for a computer or do not mind running the cable to your main PC and leaving it on all the time. I recommend picking up or using an old clunker of a computer and throw windows 2000 on it or something.

By the way. Contact that Duncan guy and you can swap out the 25 feet of cable for something longer and he will adjust the cost accordingly. He has over 4000 transactions with a 100% positive rating. Cannot get any more trust worthy than that and I used him a couple of years ago without a hitch.

I want this thing to be somewhat hidden.. so I see your idea with the cold. so I could set it up in the window facing the driveway.

Then I wouldn't have to worry about an enclosure.

I like the wireless idea, so I can move it around if I must.

It doesnt have to be network'd. I don't care to have the ability to view online or anything. Just record to a decent sized hdd so I can quilcly review it when needed.

Obviously color is a plus, but not necessary.\

Thanks for the input!

What seems to be the best way to record the video onto a hdd/pc?

Sorry if any of my questions are answered, ZD you were editing at the sametime as my post

Also, for night vision, prob. won't be needed b/c the flood light ALWAYS comes on.

I like your idea of a birdhouse, I actually have several of them made that I could modify if needed.

I'm thinking of spending a lil more, only a hundred bucks seems worth it right now...

I'd prob. use XP since I have a spare one. Wonder what size HDD i should get for it. Since I will be running this this for 24/7... but prob won't want to keep more than a few days worth of data.

Edited by ZesteR