A antivirus question

Shazz

My kids have a laptop that they use basically for Fisher Price Easy Link. It is a program that locks you on a kids site. You can't "surf" the web without the admin password. So my kids won't be "surfing". However my wife likes to use it to look at those crazy celebrity's. Women! lol

Anyway...I should put a antivirus on this little compaq laptop and I don't want to spend any money!

So, what is the cheapest and best antivirus or malware protection I can put on it?

AVG's detection rate has been really poor as of late. AntiVir has been one of the first to detect viruses where most others have not. Symantec/Norton is the absolute worst in my opinion.

Last year I had issues when AVG went for v7 to v8 so I switched to AntiVir. I used it for a month and had issues with it so I formatted my comp and went back to AVG. I tried both on my wifes comp when she got a nasty trojan and both wouldn't get rid of it. I ended up using Malwarebytes to get rid of it. She was using IE7....but not now and no problems since.