screen resolution reverting-FIXED

eXile

my fiancee managed to get a nasty virus called vundo on our comp so after hours of unsuccessful attempts of removing it i wiped my comp. everything is back up and running fine EXCEPT my stupid video card settings.

anytime i reboot or like say load WoW then exit back to desktop it reverts my resolution back to 800x600 or even smaller. then i have to use CCC to change the vid and color settings because sometimes it reverts the color back to 8 bit too. and i cant modify it by right clicking properties on the desktop. it says it changes it but actually does nothing.

while this doesnt really keep anything from running properly its highly annoying. anyone got any ideas on a fix for this???

x1800xt card and newest ati drivers. also everything is being run from admin acct as i havent setup user accounts yet so idk if it could be permission related or not. any help would be amazing.

It definitely sounds like videocard driver issues. Have you tried removing the drivers, making sure there aren't any "ghost" versions of the videocard in safemode, running a drivercleaner, then reinstalling the drivers?

What version of the drivers are you using now? Is it the latest official release, or the latest beta drivers? :)

and now i uninstalled everything ati in add / remove. downloaded and used driver cleaner. reinstalled. and still does the same stupid crap.

i remember this happening the last time i reformatted. but i dont remember what i did to fix it. someone has to know how to fix this =(

yeah ugh this is dumb. im now remembering it was something in the registry that needed to be changed. my uncle knew what it was right away and normally i would just call him but he passed away last summer so thats not really an option anymore.

one of you has to know how to fix this.

Well to start it should not do this (duh) so there must be some issue with either the driver, the hardware or another program causing it. Try uninstalling the software, then uninstall the video card (both in safe mode) then reboot and install the video card drivers from the ATI .exe. If that doesn't work hit the thing with your truck 9 times. It'll make you feel better.

yeah already did all that like i posted a few posts up. man this is like super frickin annoying. and i cant find anything anywhere to fix it.

i wonder if i reverted to the old drivers i had? i guess its worth a try. Looks like i'm my own tech support. =(