Sony's PS3 Sales Increased by 1

Unclean

So I was looking into PS3's like I do once every 3 months or so, and saw they changed the SonyStyle deal. Before it was $150 off the first purchase, but now it's a pretty sweet deal. It's $100 off right away, then another $100 if you spend $1500 on the card in the first 3 months, and another $100 if you spend $1500 more in the following 3 months. I'll just put the wedding deposits down on the new card, and presto! $300 off a PS3. A $99 PS3 is too good to pass up.

So here's what's being shipped:

PS3 from Sony's website (does that come with MGS4 bundled?)

HDMI cable

RE5

Does the PS3 work with a wireless keyboard? Bluetooth or other wireless headset? What are some of the cool things you guys do with the PS3 besides online gaming + blueray movies?

Some can do software emulation, right? Why can't other PS3's just get that same emulator software?

I thought they all could do software emulation, just that the original PS3 had the original PS2 hardware installed as well, which they have now discontinued.

Actually I'd love to know, I've been eyeing the PS3 for some time and it would certainly postpone my decision if the current PS3s couldn't play PS2/PS1 games.

One of the backwards compatible 80GB versions, right? Because I'm reading that the 80GB version out now isn't BC.

And that's ridiculous to re-pay for a PS1/2 game. Even $1 is too much for that.

Oh... crap. My company has local want ads, and someone is selling a MGS4 PS3 for $300 OBO. As I look it up, this one IS backwards compatible with PS1/2 games (I just checked the titles I own, and they all are in the list).

Just working out the math here... it looks like this makes sense to sell the new one on ebay and take a $50-75 hit.

New PS3: $400-$100 bonus = $300

Used PS3: $300

Spent: $600

Sell new PS3 on ebay: $350

Spent: $600-$350 = $250

3 months later = $250 - $100 = $150

3 months later = $150 - $100 = $50

So even with a $50 hit, I'm still coming out $50 ahead. Anyone want to buy a brand new, never-opened PS3 for $350? :)

Wait, now I'm confused...can you play your old PS1/PS2 discs on the PS3 still or not?

Some can, some can't. Sony is not currently producing a PS3 that can play PS1/PS2 discs, but some of the older models can. You CAN, however, download the games (for a fee) and play them on any PS3. But essentially that way you're buying the game twice.

My understanding anonymo is that the "new" PS3's being made are not backward compatible at all. The original 80GB versions from like a year ago and less are backward compatible with PS2 discs, not sure of the PS1 discs. And not even all of the PS2 discs, some PS2 games don't even play on the "compatible" PS3s. You can download PS2/1 games from the Sony store and play on any version of PS3, they just don't all read the discs, like my 40gb one.

me too samurai. sigh. i wish it was backwards compatible. lame 40gig version, blah.

and cod4 with me and bullet. play.

id = mr_jiffeh

and LBP is disturbingly amusing...i just beat all the levels, woot.

COD4 = awsumm. I've got a ton of unlocks and a few gold weapons from the PC version, too bad there's no way to convert that all to a PS3 version. :)

I've heard really good things about LBP. I picked up a new copy on ebay for $25 shipped, should be arriving today or tomorrow. What's your favorite part about it, Jiffy?

Oh! And now you can get Worms from the PSN! Those games are great for parties.

id = unclean_cheats