Dell Mini 9 ----> Mac OS X installation

Trying again because I have nothing else better to do. I have to say, the Dell Mini 9 is a rugged little netbook. The build quality is much better than that of the Acers, Asuses, and HP's that I've seen and held. The keyboard is actually a size that someone with my normal sized hands can use it comfortably. Dell Laptops tend to be of poor quality but this thing is just nice. Even the touchpad is usable for something so small.

If I cannot get the Mac OS to install properly, I will go with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix to see how that runs. The built in Ubuntu version that came with it was okay and run fine but had a lot of Yahoo based stuff and I want to be able to run the latest Open Office on it.

it would not boot up after I did the final step which is install the boot loader to the boot sector of the Mac OS install. It froze or something and I had to hard reboot which probably corrupted it. It was working otherwise and all of the hardware was working as well.

I am now running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 beta and it looks amazing and runs great too.

i was lul'ing about this the other night. one of my friends grabbed the same dell, used mydellmini.com, and got it up and running on the first install. i even took a picture on my iphone to prove it :D

want me to find out what method he used? he said it was pretty straightforward, and no issues...

I got it working. Had to find an alternative to the syslinux part of the process since it did not work properly for me no matter what machine I used or what USB stick I tried it with.

Runs like a charm on 1GB of RAM. I imagine it would run all that much better with 2GB of RAM. Fortunately I have an 8GB SD card in it for some of my apps such as Open Office and others that do not require that I install on the Primary OS Volume

hackintosh4.jpg

I am finding Mac OS to be more useful and desirable in this sort of situation than I do anywhere else at the moment. I often times miss a standard Windows computer at work and find some of the particular weirdness of Mac OS annoying. In the case of the Mac netbook, I find it surprisingly quick and useful for what I do on it. Plus, Mail.App is the best Mail program out there and having it on this little thing is great.

• 2 weeks later...