The Great Albums Music Discussion Thread

Shropshire Slasher

So I feel the forums have been a bit, well, slow lately.

So, I wanted to start a music thread. This is pretty wide open to your own input... but to start it off:

Here is an album I recently resurrected into my rotation:

art_live_after_death.jpg

You can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_After_Death

It's probably the single best snapshot of what Iron Maiden was in the first half of the '80s: One of the BEST rock bands of the decade.

I've always felt it was a bit of a shame that they get tossed around as sort of a poster child for brainless heavy metal. Under all the slightly silly Dungeons & Dragons imagery you have VERY talented musicians playing some VERY well written material. Their first 5 albums (where the material on this album comes from) in particular shows how good heavier rock music can be.

Notice I don't call this "heavy metal". I'm with Lemmy on this one: "It's all rock & roll."

Also, as an example of a live recording, this is just masterful. Sound quality is amazing (recording and mix) and the musicians are at their peak. The only other live albums I personally own that come close are from the Allman Brothers (At Fillmore East and One Way Out).

Discuss.

endcd12_cover_400.jpg

Bought this several months ago - one of my all time favourites. Wiki's info on them is good too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antestor

I find it so fascinating reading about because they're one of the first "Christian black metal" bands (which in itself is a discussion) and were met with hostility from both sides (Christian and the metal scene). This album is one of my personal favourite works of art.

Edited by dragonfly