School-HELP- which programming track to take?

Laz.e.rus

first choice - java. do it. learn java, and you can go into any other language. besides, java still has a huge footprint in the enterprise, and the most likely to get you an out of school job. while you're learning java, i'd also recommend picking up python or php, on your own, while doing the java class. start reading dive into python a few weeks into your java class.

others, in order of recommendation:

c#? maybe. object oriented programming, but i've really only seen a demand for it within .NET 3/3.5 applications (which is different than asp.net (or asp classic)). do this if you want to be a developer in a big business environment. embrace open source if you want to be involved in fun projects. .NET is for stodgy, pci-compliant, sensitive data blah blah.

asp.net? dude. no way.

advanced web? what teh ef is that?

vb? lulz.

I just finished the basic course of Python. Liked it. Unfortunately that is as far as it goes in this school. Those other choices are the only ones that get extended.

Then again, I might just take the baggage/extra stuff (math, some of the low-on-the pole classes that are requirements later )

I just finished the basic course of Python. Liked it. Unfortunately that is as far as it goes in this school. Those other choices are the only ones that get extended.
i think i already mentioned this, but if not, or for good measure, start playing with google app engine. why? 1. you can build and deploy without being a system administrator. the infrastructure is already there, including big table database, and you don't have to worry about being a linux-apache-mysql-php/python system admin. that's huge. 2. wrapping your head around the pros and cons of cloud computing with pet projects will give you a leg up. 3. it's free.

if you need any help along the way, http://www.diveintopython.org is a solid book, and the online version is free.

if you need any pet project ideas, i've got about 16.

(edited)

I primarily work in C++, linux and open source environments. But i did learn C# and .NET on my own during this time. I also used Java as my primary language in college.

C# is heavily influenced by Java. J++ was microsofts implementation of java(which they lost the rights for).. then changed to J#, then C#.

I highly recommend you do C#. C# is the latest and primary language on the .NET platform. .NET and visual studio experience is highly sought after from employers. Plus I find .NET to be super easy and basically hold your hand while coding.

Edited by .fx

but then again, what do you actually want to do.

I still think C# would be the easiest to learn on, but if you want to go toward open-source programming, go with Java. Want to do embedded programming learn C. Want to do web programming? ASP.NET(also remember C# uses the .NET platform and many libraries available in to you ASP will also be available C#).

i think a java course will give you a better programming background and the ability to pickup new languages easier. if you go c#, you might be painting yourself into a microsoft corner. depending on your personal goals, i'd consider that heavily.

there isn't much debate to .fx's point - .NET developers are in demand, but it's been my experience that those guys are treated as commodities in huge businesses. but to be clear, i'm not recommending java so you can spend the next 30 years writing java (), but so you have a good grasp on sound programming practices.

well, I learned on Java, so maybe my perception of C# may be off. C# was extremely easy for me to pick up. After the first week or so, I'd much rather be programming in C# than C++ or Java. But stutters may be right. We learned Java the hard way.. command line and a text editor. 3 years later they introduced us to JBuilder... and I thought to myself, wth did that have us do all that stuff the hard way when this was here for us.

I guess they did this so we got a good grasp on programming and languages would be easier to pick up later. With that said, C# doesn't have any basics like that to learn on, you get thrown right into the middle of Visual Studios IDE with every .NET library available.

Thanks alot guys.

Even if I don't use this information right away, its "stuff" I needed to know and have been wondering about.

I've always liked programming, but now, I have no idea what to take, what degree to aim for (Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Networking, Programming, etc... ) to get a job. Id like to stay in programming...then there was What language, Who'd hire me? ...

Its something I enjoy, but am I painting myself into an "Office Space" cubicle? ...

You get the idea.

Thanks for all so far, and any info, input, and experiences you have are greatly appreciated.

I've always liked programming, but now, I have no idea what to take, what degree to aim for (Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Networking, Programming, etc... ) to get a job. Id like to stay in programming...then there was What language, Who'd hire me? ... Its something I enjoy, but am I painting myself into an "Office Space" cubicle? ...

this is purely subjective, but i'd say you're more like to be in an office space cubicle using .NET because of project requirements that require a higher comfort level (data sensitivity, etc.).

then again, take a look at some of the videos we've got about our work environment at sierra-bravo (a day in the nerdery, learning on the job, projects at the nerdery). it seems like there's finally a shift in mentality towards developers - they're now being looked at as a valuable asset for solving complex problems, as opposed to the old/traditional "they're replaceable commodities. anyone can code."

make sure you take as many business classes as possible.

(edited)

you have no appreciation for how funny office space is until you actually live it.

Just today we had a birthday celebration. There is a lady here who resembles the red-headed lady in office space and yes she hands out the cake. And yes, people take the cake and pass it down. I'm not joking. I also have a small poster of them beating the crap out of a printer hanging up in my cube.

Edited by .fx

I've always liked programming, but now, I have no idea what to take, what degree to aim for (Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Networking, Programming, etc... ) to get a job. Id like to stay in programming...then there was What language, Who'd hire me? ... Its something I enjoy, but am I painting myself into an "Office Space" cubicle? ...

this is purely subjective, but i'd say you're more like to be in an office space cubicle using .NET because of project requirements that require a higher comfort level (data sensitivity, etc.).

then again, take a look at some of the videos we've got about our work environment at sierra-bravo (a day in the nerdery, learning on the job, projects at the nerdery). it seems like there's finally a shift in mentality towards developers - they're now being looked at as a valuable asset for solving complex problems, as opposed to the old/traditional "they're replaceable commodities. anyone can code."

make sure you take as many business classes as possible.

funny-pictures-cat-does-what-owner-does.jpg

• 2 weeks later...