OH NOES!! RRoD!!

boiler

After a little over a year and a half's worth of service, my 360 froze to a gray screen while playing Fallout, and upon power cycling, showed me the dreaded three red rings of blinking sadness. Cause for sadness? Month(s) without my beloved console while having it shipped/serviced by MS? End of the world? Time to buy a PS3/real gaming computer? Heck no!! Best Buy had me and my 2 year exchange program covered!

After resetting a couple of times to confirm the diagnosis, I packed it up, drove 5 minutes to my BB, and got my exchange on. After spending 15 minutes transferring all of my important game saves and such, I then found out that I was receiving store credit for my dead box (back when they were $399), which means I got a new 60GB 360, new 2 year service agreement, AND a $63 balance on a gift card. :luxhello:

So quick recap: dead xbox = new xbox with 3x bigger hard drive, full 2 year service plan, plus a NEW GAME!!! :D

Now, the really important part:

I need GAME SUGGESTIONS on which to spend my gift card. I would prefer something relatively recent, but if a goodie has managed to pass my collection by then I would be interested in rectifying that as well. I was tempted by Halo Wars, but not sold on the idea.

Chime in guys! Help me spend my "free" money!

Points? You're gonna need them next week :mwink:

Plus today is Banjo Tooie + Virtual On...not to mention Outrun and Dishwasher Samurai (or was it Ninja?) either way awesome game.

Not sure if you got the Mythic map pack for Halo yet either, pretty awesome too (but considering how much you play I'd go with the above mentioned items first)

(edited)
Points? You're gonna need them next week :mwink:

Plus today is Banjo Tooie + Virtual On...not to mention Outrun and Dishwasher Samurai (or was it Ninja?) either way awesome game.

Not sure if you got the Mythic map pack for Halo yet either, pretty awesome too (but considering how much you play I'd go with the above mentioned items first)

um, wut? haven't heard of most of those... Mythic pack might be a consideration - I could see myself getting back into Halo, it's just tough though when much of my playtime dictates the need to quit when I need too instead of waiting for the end of the map. I guess I was thinking of a "full game" with decent replayability factor.

*I was browsing through the "best seller" list on BB website, and came across two games that I missed that were mildly intriguing at the time of their release:

Battlefield: Bad Company - $29.99

Far Cry 2 - $39.99

Getting both would be a little more than just getting Halo Wars, but if they are solid games with decent play-time/replayability, then they might be worth it.

Gotta go read the reviews again I spose.

Edited by boiler

Read the Far Cry 2 review again - really thinking I should pick it up.

The only major gripes I've heard about it are from the PC people (too taxing on hardware, crappy UI for setting controls, mouse wheel, widescreen, blah blah blah). I reckon I'll pop it in to my 360 and it will "just work". :D

What do you think:

1. Far Cry 2 + MS points

2. Far Cry 2 + Battlefield: BC

3. Other

($63 in store credit, plus willing to spend another $10 or so if necessary)

??

You seem to be forgetting Broken Steel comes out next Tuesday, requiring points.

Anyways, I'd get BF:BC before Far Cry2. FC2 is cool, looks nice, fun at first but then you end up doing the same things over and over not to mention NPC respawn rates are borderline demonic.

BF:BC has awesome multiplayer

You seem to be forgetting Broken Steel comes out next Tuesday, requiring points.

Anyways, I'd get BF:BC before Far Cry2. FC2 is cool, looks nice, fun at first but then you end up doing the same things over and over not to mention NPC respawn rates are borderline demonic.

BF:BC has awesome multiplayer

Do you have BF:BC? I remember seeing you play it a while ago, but I have no idea if you actually buy much of these games you play or if you rent/trade in constantly. If I knew a person or two with BC, then it just moved up to the "I might go pick it up today" category. I think I will get enough points for Broken Steel as well. I'll definitely be downloading it on Tuesday!

I just started playing BF:BC single player and am loving the game so much. I also played Far Cry 2 and agree completely with Anonymo, fun at first, but everything gets old fast. I think I played Far Cry 2 for like an hour or 2 and decided I had enough of the game. Good thing it was only a rental.

Yeah I still have it. Most of the games you see me play are owned as I tend to like collecting (plus the store down the street often has buy 2 get 1 free used games)

I'll play BFBC with you guys for sure, awesome game!

I grabbed COD:WaW over the weekend and it's awesome! Single player is short but the multiplayer is like a good mix of COD3's gametypes/atmosphere and COD4's gameplay/stats as well as there seems to be 4 player co-op and competitive co-op (in the vein of L4D's vs. mode I think) as well as a zombie survival game that was pretty fun until I discovered I was playing with 12 year olds who like to burn things.

I think I'll go pick up Bad Company this week. I've rented Far Cry 2 but haven't popped it in yet - if I get hooked for more than a couple of hours, then I still might pick it up. It seems like one that would have good replayability if you can deal with the other stuff.

I downloaded the BC demo again yesterday and played through it. I think it sealed the deal for me!

Best RRoD evar.

I did not see it coming. At all. Everything has been running just fine - no hang ups, no disc errors, no artifacting, nothing. I had turned it on that evening, fired up Fallout 3, played for about 5 minutes, then gray screen freeze, shut down, then the red lights.

At the moment, it's entirely possible I'll end up with Far Cry 2, Battlefield Bad Company AND Broken Steel. I checked my MS points balance, and it's at 600 right now which is nearly enough to cover the Fallout expansion.

FYI I went ahead and bought Far Cry 2. I really enjoyed my time with the rental and have gotten hooked on the upgrades and playing with fire.

Oh, and Bad Company has now dropped to $20 at Best Buy, so putting off buying it for a week+ has now saved me $10. I'll be picking it up today!

See? My dead Xbox netted me 2 TOTALLY FREE games!! :D

(I also downloaded BS, but have to play through the Pitt first so it may be a little while)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
GC Alumni
(edited)
Wish I saw this earlier. Would have warned you away from Far Cry 2 as it is one terrible game. The story has nothing to do with the original game. Anyway, have you tried Fable 2?

Haven't played FarCry 2.

Beat Fable 2. Ended before it really got off the ground, but I wasn't really disappointed.

Edited by JackieChan