Hard Drive install question

(edited)

I am running out of space on my current HD, is installing a new HD just plug and play?

I plan to run the new HD along with my current one, will there be compatability issues with certain drives?

My current HD is a Western Digital 160GB SATAII 8MB Cache.

BTW any HD recs would be appreciated, I store a lot of music.

Thanx.

Edited by Ruff_Ryder

If your storing alot of music, I would just go with an external harddrive. You can get it with more space and it would be easier to set up than installing a new internal HDD.

That sounds like a winner, is it possible to get my Media Player to access its library from the external drive?

(edited)

Is this a sata drive? You can get a sata docking station and swap any sata drive you wish. It plugs in USB.

I have this one with a 500 gig WD sata 3g drive in it.

Thermaltake Docking Station

It comes in very handy when I want to scan a sata drive for viruses and spyware. Makes it so much easier when I do backup for people, no need to even boot up their PC I just

pull out their drive and plug it in.

Edited by Primus

If you are set on multiple drives, I would buy an internal HDD...not external, as speed of transfer (especially lots of music in small files) will take a while. If you are going to add a single internal hard drive, then just install, and you will have to format and then R-click my computer, manage, storage, local disk...bring the drive up and you are good to go.

If I were going with a single drive system...(and use your old drive as backup for key stuff...) I would get a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB edition. IT has good capacity and is really, really fast.

Question: Do you plan to reinstall windows or are you going to ghost your operating system and files onto the new one?

I always go clean install...

But, if that isn't the case, you will have to install your new drive, then format it.

Then, I would use a utility to image your old drive onto new.

If you do clean install, then no prob. Just unplug old hard drive. Insert windows DVD. Reboot...

Edited by Tek-Almighty

1) I think Tek's infant has kept him up at night sometimes. (430am?)

2) Keep an eye out for the spam posts - we'll leave that post intact for amusement value but that account is nuked now (hence the guest tag)

3) I have probably two terabytes right now. I may need more. How you can get by with a 160 for so long boggles my mind.

-Fk

(edited)
I have probably two terabytes right now. I may need more. How you can get by with a 160 for so long boggles my mind.

LOL,

OK, I added a 750GB ext. drive and I went into media sharing on my WMP and added a folder for my ext. drive and it looks like its gonna work out fine, I can move all my music files to the ext. drive and they still display in my WMP library.

Edited by Ruff_Ryder