the day you've been waiting for

stutters

GC Alumni

2.0 is coming out to the hero in november, so no, not a year m2. you still suck.

zd, you still missed the part of the conversation where verizon was not an option :P. even if it was, i'm not a fan of motorola-style qwerty keyboards, and i'm not sold on 2.0. even more, i just don't like the idea of having an open handset alliance that version controls based on hardware. on a hero? can't get 1.6, but *might* be able to get 2.0. on a mytouch? can get 1.6, but not sure about 2.0. lame.

beyond that, the UX of the android (1.5-2.0) just feels like something a bunch of code nerds through together. controls aren't consistent, things aren't where you'd expect them to be, and it's just generally a pain to deal with.

beyond that, the UX of the android (1.5-2.0) just feels like something a bunch of code nerds through together. controls aren't consistent, things aren't where you'd expect them to be, and it's just generally a pain to deal with.

Anything that is not the iphone is going to feel like that, no matter what it is.

GC Alumni

that's true for now, and probably for a while. i like the flow through this ui, but it's still android, and it's still inconsistent.

[utube]lvsl5IBSZh0[/utube]

note: the article gives credit to zune - "the only media UI that's capable of competing with the iPhone's."

Wow, SJ posted a link praising the Zune...I'm blown away...

That being said, sorry 'bout your luck with the iPhone--I probably would've joined this conversation earlier, but I was in India.

I LOVE my BB Storm--more so now that I've been to India. It doesn't seem to have the call volume issues of other BBs (at least, I've never had a problem with it), and I get coverage EVERYWHERE. I was getting better coverage in India than the local people in India with upscale phones.

That being said, the Storm is VZW only--so, not much help to you.

Sony is launching a new Android phone in the near future (not sure what it's called) that should be pretty killer. But I just learned with a search that it's the Rachel you posted up there. Hahaha...I wonder if you can get an unlocked Droid (the VZW phone). They are getting very good reviews all around--the biggest complaint being size.

GC Alumni

thing is, i don't have *any* complaints about my iphone, but more than enough about AT&T. i've used the storm (we had two around for an app we built) and really didn't like the touch response, but some people think the world of it. i'm also anxious to see how the 'droid marketing plays out. they're really talking up the idea of backgrounding apps, like the pre, but that's such a battery killer. they're also talking about open development, which imo is not a good thing. the android market has no checks (besides flagging as offensive), which allows poorly designed apps to come in (and make the average user think the phone sucks).

from a business standpoint, i really hope android makes the impact people are talking about, but after using it for a couple weeks, i think there are going to be a lot of surprised analysts.

...and despite the number of shipments (RIM is still #1), people still prefer the iphone...for a reason.

Interesting with your recent complaints about AT&T: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181379/verizon_lawsuit_makes_atandt_the_villain_again.html

That's pretty sad, going to court just to cover up your own crappy network. Verizon was even nice enough NOT to point out that even in the dark areas, phones tend to switch from 3G to non-3G which causes signal interruption . . .

Just thought you might get a kick out of that SJ :)

GC Alumni

yeah, i saw the same story. trust me, i'm not a fan of at&t, but i've found out that forcing the phone onto EDGE instead of 3G alleviates almost all of my dropped calls issue. sucks being on a slower EDGE network for data, but for the week i was on sprint, i sure wasn't impressed with the EVDO speeds i was getting.

GC Alumni

May I ask which major city you are closest to? I want to look up CR ratings for cellular providers in your area.

no, i've never trusted you. at all. you scare me.

(or you could sherlock holmes it out of my first post)

Apparently stutters is smarter than all of you. He never did switch phones! He baited you into arguing with him about phones you like - under the ruse that he had conceded that your phone was the good one.

Kudos to you man! It's genius! :)

Sorry, I know little about phones, but have been amused by this thread. <3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My super late addition:

I have a BB Curve from work. It was on the ATT network, and I dropped calls all the time downtown both in the office and in my apartment. ATT came and actually installed additional antennas inside of our building to help with the dropping of calls. This now means that A) I am for sure getting cancer and B) as soon as you walk in or out of the building your call drops, because the hand-off doesn't work right from the tower to the internal antennas. I then moved to the north side by Wrigley. I get 0 signal in my condo. IN THE MIDDLE OF CHICAGO! Unacceptable. I talked with the work people and got me switched to T-Mobile. Exact same model phone (BB Curve) and I get signal everywhere. I have had it for about 3 months, and not only do I get signal in my place and in bars where I never did before, I don't think I've had a single dropped call yet.

Oh, almost forgot my favorite on ATT which was the "get a voicemail 20 minutes after someone called you, and at no point does the phone ring or show a call." That was with 4 bars sitting at my desk.