the day you've been waiting for

stutters

i bricked my iphone 3gs this weekend....

but it doesn't stop there! at&t's coverage is *so bad* in chicago, i've got to jump over to sprint and become either a palm pre, blackberry, or htc hero user. thought you ladies might enjoy hearing this.

Where does the beer payment line start? :D

Good call on avoiding AT&T around here. You can't go wrong with Verizon. And if you're looking at new phones, you may want to consider something other than a Blackberry. I have one (the Tour) and love the apps/functionality, but despise the call quality volume. People complain all the time about how muffled everything sounds. It's because the receiver is pointing straight down and doesn't capture sound properly. If you stick with a BB, use bluetooth or another headset whenever possible. Or if you go with a BB, try cupping your hand at the bottom of the phone to recreate a regular phone - I've had some success with that.

GC Alumni

unfortunately, i think i'm limited to either at&t or sprint, although i don't know what he means by "same network as verizon and t-mobile."

Matt,

We have plans with Sprint and AT&T. Sprint is on the same network as Verizon and T-Mobile. We should be able to get a discount from Sprint on a new phone. Check out Sprint and see if that have anything you like. Let me know, because I need to tweak the plan if we are adding another line.

Bill

right now it's between the htc hero and some non-touch blackberry. the company uses google apps for our email and calendaring, and we'll be using wave for some of our internal systems. android and webkit might push the hero ahead of the blackberry.

am i missing anything (other than a working iphone :D)?

am i missing anything (other than a working iphone :D)?

Peace of mind

I fiddled with the HTC Touch pro 2 and it is very nice. Should be named iTouch because it is a very slick looking wonnabe iphone replica.

Verizon also has Google Android phones coming out really soon which may be worth waiting for. No one wants to use a Windows mobile phone.

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/?cmp=OTC-Droid-redirect1

And here is the other verizon Android phone that should be showing up soon. This may be an older article but looks like a slick phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/30/motorola-sholes-android-phone-headed-for-verizon/

GC Alumni

nice work on the back to back to back to back posts. i merged them for you, no problem.

i don't think verizon is an option, unless someone can translate "being on the same network" means. i think it just means they're both evdo networks, but probably not.

Sprint and Verizon are both good for coverage. Sprint tries to nickel and dime you, but if it's not your nickel, they're a fine choice.

For what it's worth, I've heard a bunch of bad things (first-hand) from people on Windows mobile phones. Buggy, lots of crashes/spontaneous restarts, unable to update, etc. I never hear complaints about Blackberrys (except for the caller voice issue stated above). And there's a good 30-40 BB users here in my dept.

On a side note, I was SO tempted to split this into 4 equal posts. :biglaugha:

It depends on the area. In Chicago/Northern IL, it's terrible. In fact, a few years ago Cingular had the worst cellular provider ratings (AT&T was second worst), and they merged. :dry: There hasn't been much improvement here. It could be fine in NY though.

The main complaints I've heard are coverage (very little 3G avail, no/low signal) and very poor customer service. I had Cingular about 8 years ago, and experienced that first-hand.

GC Alumni

Is AT&T really that bad? I haven't noticed much of a difference

wait for it.

- 3G data drops downtown

- calls drop north of the city (with full coverage)

- data flips between 3G and EDGE

- gps isn't accurate (see above)

in my apartment, i've got full coverage, and calls will drop 3+ times/hour. totally unacceptable for a business line. if i didn't rely on it 100% (ie, if i had a reliable voip connection...which i sort of do), i'd probably be able to deal with it. when it's my only link out, at&t doesn't cut it.

GC Alumni

Unlock that biotch and make yourself a free ipod touch.

I'm done mod'ing Apple devices. They don't want you to, and at some point, it'll catch you. It caught me, and I'm not making the same mistake again.

If the iPhone was currently supported on other networks, I'd do that. It's not, so I won't.

I'm starting to get excited for the HTC Hero. M2 thinks Android is a year off, but I think he's bitter that he has a Blackberry.

• 2 weeks later...
GC Alumni

after about 2 weeks on my HTC Hero running Android, I've decided that I'd rather put up with AT&T's crappy network on an amazing phone, than have a POS phone on a decent network.

Android is crap. As much as I'd like to support an open source platform, it's just not there, yet. Android 2.0 will likely fix a lot of the problems I was having (like a phone with the Google logo on it that doesn't integrate with Google Apps), but the screen lag, that poor UI and UX designs, and just a sub par product has me back on the iPhone. Well that, and Apple replaced my admittedly jailbroke completely bricked fried 3GS for free. I'm still waiting for them to come back and be all "ha ha, jk, lol," but I'm heading out the door.

Android is crap. As much as I'd like to support an open source platform, it's just not there, yet. Android 2.0 will likely fix a lot of the problems I was having

hmmmmmmm not there yet?

M2 thinks Android is a year off, but I think he's bitter that he has a Blackberry.

Prolly a year off huh? :P