fat32 recovery

stutters

any good recommendations for fat32 drive recovery/repair? my external usb drive took a crap, sorta. 75% of the files are readily accessible, but the rest are 0kb files. apparently that "don't unplug your drive while it's spinning" warning isn't just a bunch of hot air.

any pointers would be appreciated. it's my music drive, and i feel like 25% of me just died.

• 3 weeks later...

any good recommendations for fat32 drive recovery/repair? my external usb drive took a crap, sorta. 75% of the files are readily accessible, but the rest are 0kb files. apparently that "don't unplug your drive while it's spinning" warning isn't just a bunch of hot air.

any pointers would be appreciated. it's my music drive, and i feel like 25% of me just died. <emo tear>

If you just unplugged it without doing "Safely remove hardware first" you shouldn't have gotten that corruption(or any) on a FAT32 drive. If you were writing to it maybe, but even that is unlikely for a FAT32 drive. If it just corruption more then likely you damaged the MFT from the sounds of it - don't write anything else to the drive, as if the MFT is pointing to the wrong blocks on those files you'll start randomly overwriting them. You start with trying Recuva(http://www.piriform.com/recuva), its simple, free, and will scavenge the drive looking for blocks of data that are no longer referenced in the MFT and hopefully reassemble them. I can get you a copy of Restorer Pro(http://www.restorer2000.com/) if you'd like to try it. Kinda of crappy software but occasionally will get data back, you should probably also test the drive make sure it isn't a hardware issue, I'd use SeaTools and if it starts finding bad blocks then immediately cancel it and try to pull any remaining data. For SeaTools remove the drive from the USB case and plug it in to ATA/SATA and use the self booting SeaTools disk(http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS217EURO.ISO). Good Luck.

I missed this thread somehow. The one tool that I try for such things here at work which we own a license for is Steve Gibson's "SpinRite". It's repaired a many drives for me but I am not too sure about USB drives. USB drives should always have a backup somewhere.

I would try mounting it in a Ubuntu Linux live boot and see if the files can be seen there.

i'm 95% of the way there. a friend (happy_FUNTIME_chicken) sent me easues tools, and that got most everything back. it was painfully slow (18 hours for 460ish gb, usb to usb), but everything except a few movies came back. snowboarding movies, kids. heads out of the gutter.

i tried spinrite, but it wouldn't detect the drive (usb). i don't have a desktop, so plugging it into ata/sata wasn't an easy option.

now that i've got everything over to the new drive, sounds like a good time to try m0ms suggestion.