Need a new MP3 player.

VooDooPC

My 80gb Zune 2nd Gen has been on the fritz. The touch pad has gone totally bonkers. Sometimes when I am switching songs sliding to the right it will turn the volume all the way up instead, it happened yesterday at work and someone pretty much thought I was getting electrocuted I had to pull the earphones out so fast. When I try to click stuff it will instead scroll down three items. 1/2 the time it doesn't do anything when I click. 1/4th of the time it doesn't do anything at all when I try to use the pad. It took me around 3 minutes to switch to a song I wanted to listen too because of the pad the other day, something that would usually only take a few seconds. The back and play buttons work fine though.

I want to buy a new MP3 player but I really want to buy something new and fancy. I figure the iTouch or the ZuneHD would be my best bets.

If I got the ZuneHD I already have the Zune software and have some shows and songs I have downloaded through the Zune store, which might cause problems with the iTouch, I also know nothing about the iTouch software.

The ZuneHD comes in 16gb and 32gb. The 16gb would be the perfect size for me since I'm using about 10-12gb on my Zune right now. The iTouch comes in 8gb, 32gb, and 64gb. The 8gb is too small and the 32gb is like $100 more than the 16gb ZuneHD.

Both of them have apps. I've never used apps. I know the iTouch will naturally have much more support for apps but since I've never used them, I don't know how useful they will be too me.

Both have web browsers, I've heard the ZuneHD one is really slow. Not sure if I'd even use it. It's rare I'm far from a computer with internet access.

The ZuneHD 16gb is $220 and the iTouch 32gb is $300. I recently got a $160 Best Buy gift card because of a faulty Xbox360 so I plan on using that towards it. I wouldn't be able to buy one until around Christmas anyhow but I can't imagine the prices changing unless there is a sale. So right now it boils down to $60 for the ZuneHD and $150 for the iTouch.

So, what should I get? Maybe something that's not even a ZuneHD or iTouch, I'm always open to suggestions.

And I'm DEFINITELY NOT getting an iPhone. *eyes SJ*

Any advice would be great, thanks.

The iTouch is basically just the iPhone without the phone part.

I would go with the HDZune purely based on the money aspect and your existing experience with it.

However, if you want to check them out, I love the new Nano. I don't actually have one but I oogle them in the store all the time, it even has a built in pedometer so if you meet SJ it will start beeping like crazy!

The iTouch is basically just the iPhone without the phone part.

Yeah, but I've had people say to me just get the iPhone because you can get it cheaper with a plan than the iTouch, but I don't need a phone... or a plan I can't afford.

get a zune. it's the greatest invention ever and can play FM radio. how awesome is that?!

That settles that! :D

buy one yet? I have been using my Zune HD for a few months now and absolutely love it. I use it every day for both music and audiobooks. You're write, less app support, but I wanted a media player. Having HD radio and FM is pretty slick, but I don't use it that often.

That being said, I downloaded 40 or so songs just tonight--which would've cost me $40 through iTunes...with my Zune pass, I'm set. The "SmartDJ" and "MixView" features of the Zune software are also amazing if you're not familiar with those. SmartDJ is especially cool...you click on a song/artist you like, click the "SmartDJ" button, and it will grab music from your collection and the marketplace that is similar and play it for you in its own nifty little playlist. I like it.

My Dad saw how smooth and pretty the new Zune is and now wants one to replace his nano. It's small, light, and seems very solidly built. I like it. If I were going to go iPod, I'd go Nano--the touch is kinda nice...but, meh, unless you want to use apps out the wazoo, the nano seems like a better choice to me.

Interesting side-note: "wazoo" is a word present in Firefox's spellcheck database, but nano is not. (though, I suppose that's a prefix, not an actual word)

save $30 buying it at amazon, then spend your giftcard at best buy on a better pair of earbuds, or buy the zune pass with it (or a few).

speaking of, is there a place to browse the zune pass library? (brace yourself) it sounds like a good concept, but i'm curious to see how deep the library is.

I have never used a zune, so I cant tell you whats better or worse.

But am I the only one that is finding it humorous that the reason you want to buy a new Zune(MS) is because your other Zune(MS) died, and you have a gift card from your xbox(ms) dieing. I guess 2 negatives make a positive.

I still have a 10gb ipod that works like a champ (you know the one with the glowing orange buttons)

I enjoy their products so much I use them non-stop and they end up breaking. :D

My Windows 7 still works so far.

I think I'll just wait until Christmas to buy an MP3 player. I will have more money too waste and no doubt there will be some crazy Christmas sales.

I mean Holiday sales...

I have never used a zune, so I cant tell you whats better or worse.

But am I the only one that is finding it humorous that the reason you want to buy a new Zune(MS) is because your other Zune(MS) died, and you have a gift card from your xbox(ms) dieing. I guess 2 negatives make a positive.

I still have a 10gb ipod that works like a champ (you know the one with the glowing orange buttons)

My Zune HD works great (so does my old Zune 30 (bought on launch day))--so does my XBOX...and my PC... :)

That being said, you can download the Zune software for free SJ, then you can browse all you want and buy piece by piece if you want (or you can get the subscription). I love having the pass as the Smart DJ and Mix View are AWESOME for discovering bands I would have never heard before otherwise. Their selection is a lot better than it was at launch (when it was somewhat disappointing)

My only real complaint with the pass is that sometimes MS can't get the full rights to use music under their subscription system (same thing happens on Rhapsody and Napster), so you have to buy those songs one by one (which costs around $.99 a piece).

You can download here.