Help more please!

Ringadon

So about 4 days ago I was lurking on the Black Mesa forums and noticed that one of the devs had a problem with their computer where the capacitors on her motherboard were bulging\leaking and it ended up bricking her MB. I, being the hypochondriac that I am thought to myself "I wonder what my caps look like I've never had occasion to check" so I opened up my box and took a look inside and lo and behold I had 3 bulging caps 2 of which had developed a slight leak. I found a joint here in springberg that said that they'd swap all my caps out for me and it'd only cost around $35 - $40 now me being the hardware ignorant that I am wonder if this was a good deal or not. I hadn't yet encountered any problems from these bad caps but a cursory google search indicated that bad things were on the way unless I got this fixed.

so...?

Ring

Edited by Ringadon

other quick question... when I put my compie back together I re-did the cooling compound over the processor and heatsink and may have gotten a little of it down in the crevice between processors and board. should I panic now?

Ring

yeah... it's been a long time since I've had to do cooling goop and I got a little overzealous. ends up that I got some of the crap in under the pins of my CPU and took it back to the shop where I got my caps switched out he did some sort of hocus pocus in the back room with it and didn't charge me a dime so now everything's clean, I cleaned everything off and did it right (and I might add slow) and now have my computer back together and running. we'll see if I messed anything up here in not too much longer when my computer either starts smoking or doesn't. keep your fingers crossed for me!! :laughcry:

so now I've got some sort of new question... I was trying to find a way to monitor my processor temp so I downloaded a program from intel which, I thought, was compatible with my architecture. upon instaling and firing it up i lost feed to my monitor and all of the fans in my case revved up to full blow and stayed there until I eventually cut the power to my power-strip to make it stop. My roommate thought that someone was vacuming next door it was so loud. Have I possibly caused harm to my computer by doing this?

Ring

what I'm trying to ask is not what I should use. I finally decided that I don't care enough. what I'm trying to establish is whether I may have harmed my system with the program I tried that seems to have run some sort of fan diagnostic.

Ring

Yeah, it sounds like (as in me reading it back to myself from memory) you ran the program, and it for some reason decided that your cpu was too hot, so it blasted the fans to try to cool it down. Now that it's gone, it wont blast your fans anymore. As far as harm goes, you may have cooled your cpu even more, but that's about it.

Even if you killed all the fans, you'd notice that they dont run, so you'd go out and buy more fans, and replace them. That's about it as far as I can tell. Glad no harm was done! :)