Contra Needs some IS help

Contradiction

I have some questions to ask everyone. I really can't figure out how to get these done.

1. Assume that a magnetic disk drive has the following characteristics:

- 10,000 RPM spin rate

- 2 nanosecond head-tohead- switching time

- 3 microsecond average track-to-track see ktime

- 5 platters, 1024 tracks/platter side recorded on both sides, 50 sectors/track

A. What is the storage capacity of the drive?

B. How long will it take to read the entire contents of the drive sequentially?

C. What is serial access time for the drive?

D. What is the average (random) access time for the drive (assume movement over half the tracks and half the sectors within a track)?

2. Assume that a CPU has a clock rating of 1.2 GHz. Assume further that half of each clock cycle is used for fetching and the other half for execution.

A. What access time is required of primary storage for the CPU to execute with zero wait states?

B. How many wait states per fetch will the CPU incur if all of primary storage is implemented with 5 nanosecond static RAM?

C. how many wait states per fetch will the CPU incur if all of primary storage is implemented with 10 nanosecond SDRAM?

3. An analog cassette tape recorded about a year ago starts at a low volume a second or two before it actually starts at normal volume. What causes this phenomenon? What are its implcations for digital data stored on magnetic tapes?

4. An employee listens to an Internet radio station while using his or her office computer. The Internet radio statoin sends MP3 encoded steroe music through the Internet and company network to the employee's computer system. The music source is compact disc and the music is compressed at an average ratio of 8:1.

The employee's computer is an IBM-compatible PC with a 100 Mbps Ethernet interface and a 100MHz 32-bit PCI bus. The employee uses Microsoft Media Player to listen to the music.

A. How much company network capacity is consumed by the employee while listening to music?

B. What percentrage of available bus cycles on the employee's computer are consumed when listening to the Internet broadcast?

C. Does your answer to either Question A or B support forbidding this employee to listen to Internet broadcast music? What if there are 500 employees on the company network?

Okies, these are the list of question i have that i can't figure out at all. I have been reading over and over again and i'm still lost. I am hoping that i may get some help through this forum. I am hoping that if anyone out that who can help me also explain to me how the answer is obtained. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

#3. I believe you are referring to “print-through�. Basically, it’s the transfer of magnetically recorded material from one layer of tape to another as a result of it being wound together on a reel. Magnetic tape is iron-oxide particles (kinda like rust, not FeO but Fe2O3) on a backing. Recordings are made by running a signal through an electromagnet, which polarizes the particles as the tape passes. The particles then have their own charge (much smaller), which can be transferred (at low levels) to another part of the tape as it goes back onto the reel. When a tape is stored “heads out� (rewound) the tape lays together in a way that causes the first second or so of the recorded material to be transferred at a low level to what should be the silent leader. This causes a soft “pre-echo� before the start of the real recording.

Storing a tape tails-out (not rewound) eliminates the pre-echo but leaves a post-echo. A post-echo is usually less of a problem. And the act of rewinding a stored tape before it is played actually reduces the level of print-through significantly. I imagine for data, it would cause what ever is reading it to think the data has started before it actually has. I’m thinking error. Seems like storing data tapes tails-out is a good idea.

As for the rest of this computer stuff, I don’t think I can help you. It gives me a headache. Is this for school? I believe this falls in YerMoth3r’s field of expertise.

Ooh! I know the answer to 4,C. Streaming audio should never be allowed because it increases the lag and ping of CS and UT players. I know from experience. I used to play on a corporate network. Boy was it sweeet! Except when that @*% (Alias knows who I’m talking about) would stream audio from the net.

Hope that helps!

Boy, I don't miss vague college test questions that leave out a number of important factors ;)

1-A) Storage Capacity = (Platters) * (Tracks) * (Sectors) * 512 bytes

512 bytes is typical sector size for hard disks. Number of platters, if I'm reading this correct, would actually be 10 because you have tracks on both sides of the platters.

(10) * (1024) * (50) * 512 = 262,144,000 bytes

Or 262 MB. Somebody double check my math.

1-B) I think what they're looking for is a formula similar to number of tracks total on the disk * track seek time and factor in the time to move the heads between platters ... but I'm sure there's a formula provided in whatever book you're using.

1-C) No real clue what they're looking for with "serial" access time.

1-D) Random access time is generally computed by adding seek time and latency and then adding in a couple other small parameters. Latency is usually defined by 30000/Spindle speed ... meaning the Latency for this drive is 3ms ... add in the the track-track seek time of 3 microseconds. What's weird is 3 microseconds is crazy fast. Perhaps the question means 3 milliseconds? If so, than I'm guessing 6ms.

On to number 4, don't even get me started on this one ;)

4-A) They're making an assumption that since the user's network card is 100Mb, than the "network" is 100Mb. There are also a number of assumptions regarding various Internet speeds and how fast the MP3 traffic can be delivered. In any event, I think they're using some sort of "standard" MP3 value for the amount of bandwidth needed. So you take that value and divide it into 100Mb for your answer on percentages.

4-B) No idea

4-C) This is where academia can do permanent damage to an aspiring CS student. This is a policy question, not a technical question. While I'm sure the answer they're looking for is probably "no" to 1 and the "yes" to 500- keep in mind that setting policy takes in a LOT more factors than bandwidth used or not used.

There is a Win32 API

GetDiskFreeSpace( PathofDrive, &SectorsPerCluster, &BytesPerSector,

&FreeClusters, &TotalClusters )

With 'TotalClusters * SectorsPerCluster * BytesPerSector' you can

calculate the total bytes of a drive.

then again, this is softsector...not physical capability

Guest AlphaTeam
Guest AlphaTeam
Guest AlphaTeam
Guests

God, I wish schools would teach more pratical "IT/IS" stuff that you can actually use in the field. In my 7 years of "IT/IS" field, I have never needed to calculate such problems.

Here are pratical answers to your questions:

1) Most of users are too dumb to care about the spec's of the hard-drive and as long as it's big (in capacity) and supports fast RPM...that's all that matters.

2) And again, as far as the CPU is concerned...faster the better!

3) Ummm who uses tape recoders these days???

4) Hehe this is my specialty!! This question is simple. Non of the employees will be able to stream media, FTP, and etc. Because I will be locking down all the ports that are not necessity to do their work. Even web-browsing will be controled through Bandwith-limiter and Sisco cache engine.

Ummm...I know I'm no help but I tried! "Wo i Ne"

Alpha

Guest the mack
Guest the mack
Guest the mack
Guests

anyone wanna right an essay for me?? i got a big us history term paper coming up and ill let u kill me 1769786 times on plat so your stats go through the roof if its an A, if its a B on 143 times :ph34r::P

1) Most of users are too dumb to care about the spec's of the hard-drive and as long as it's big (in capacity) and supports fast RPM...that's all that matters.

2) And again, as far as the CPU is concerned...faster the better!

3) Ummm who uses tape recoders these days???

4) Hehe this is my specialty!! This question is simple. Non of the employees will be able to stream media, FTP, and etc. Because I will be locking down all the ports that are not necessity to do their work. Even web-browsing will be controled through Bandwith-limiter and Sisco cache engine.

1. True, but smart people analyze how much space they really need and aim to get the most bang for the buck. For instance, going from 80GB to 100GB could be a hundred dollars while going from 60GB to 80GB might be only $25.

2. The same applies to this as #1. People go ahead and spend $600 to get the fastest CPU only to recognize that they have to replace it in 2 years when they could have bought a CPU that lets you play the same games at the same FPS for $200 and woulda need replacement in 1 year and 9 months.

3. Those who need to record large amounts of data. Do you know expensive a 40GB digital recorder is?

4. Depends on the line of work. There are needs for FTP and streaming media at work, especially in businesses that can sport a good and savvy technology department. Some say it is not the users that stunt the growth of technology but overzealous and overparanoid technologists themselves.

:P

I am curious---what degree are you heading for?

I have roughly 15 years of IT experience from helpdesk to managing development and infrastructure replacements. Kinda curious what this is for since I havenever been confronted with anything like this in my years of experience, except for #4 and only as a policy issue.