Spiffy project for work

Windex

(edited)

My boss asked me if there was anyway we could have a program run on our client PC's so if the user executed it they could send a "trouble ticket" to our website which can then be tracked..

Aka.. a home brewed lightweight ticketing system..

In 2 days I built an app that Automatically collects machine name, logged in user, time the app was executed, user can enter complaint and submit.

-That info all gets sent to The assigned tech's e-mail and pager, then it dumps into a sql db that is then accessed via our internal website using PHP

-When we close the ticket resolution is logged and an automatic e-mail is then triggered to the user that submitted the request notifying them of resolution and asking if there's anything else we can help with..

Andddd I'm not a programmer lol but I probably should be :) just need some more schoolin and experience!

-I've had a class vb.net back in '04 and one SQL class while I was taking VB.. buttt thats it

*I'd like to say it's already done but I've got some error handling to build in still on both the app and web side :-\ booo!

Edited by Windex

especially with microsoft being kind and releasing all of these "Express" versions.. buy a book and go to town! I just don't have the self discipline to do it, I learn much better through auditory and experience.. a knowledgeable teacher to go to as a resource is a huge help as well!

first program i built for myself was an MP3 alarm clock which had 3 different alarms you could set, weekend alarms, daily, weekdays only, and specific day selection. each one also would pop your own message up on the screen (ie. Drop of rent check in mail on way to work) and would bump up your pc and media volume to ensure it worked :) No clue what i did with it though haha

I'm a contractor at P&G, the company I work for managers all their lab/specialty computing. So every PC has our base XP or Win7 Image on it (I'm building Win7 Image now) so we push out .net framework to support my app and it points to all internal servers making it pretty easy.

*SP3 isn't required for everything I'm doing but yeah it's pretty well controlled.

I'm developing on Win7 and testing on both 7 and XP and so far working like a charm :luxhello:

I've got a great mind for developing programs aimed at increasing work efficiency at a lost cost but I'm not experienced enough to start a business doing that for companies.. that would be my goal if I made programming into a career though.

I spent the past week trying to get the user interface of some motif widgets to display correctly. My job is getting boring... I guess I'm just milking it for whats left though.. My lease ends in a month down here in Va Beach. I've been with this company for about 5 years straight outta college. I've got myself in a good position to just pack up all my stuff and move to another city.

I spent the past week trying to get the user interface of some motif widgets to display correctly. My job is getting boring... I guess I'm just milking it for whats left though.. My lease ends in a month down here in Va Beach. I've been with this company for about 5 years straight outta college. I've got myself in a good position to just pack up all my stuff and move to another city.

http://nerdery.com/jobs

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm going to start trying to seriously learn Java since I'm primarily going to be doing client side programing with server side interaction (SQL or Oracle)

I also dug up that old mp3 alarm I built in vb.net if you'd like to check it out i can send it your way. Never dumped the time into saving settings so it has to be configured each time you launch :( I might go back and re-work it though.

What language did you use for the ticket system? I'm just curious since I've been teaching myself Python at the moment.

Speaking of Python.. I've heard from a number of people that it is a difficult language to learn but it really isn't. It is actually easy to learn.

And yes Windex, post up whatever code you have floating around. It's good practice to try to figure out what other people's code is doing.

I ended up using vb6 to make an EXE, Used ADO objects to create a connection to my SQL DB, and CDO to do my mail functions (SMTP).

SQL for the DB

PHP/HTML for web front end (display open issues, edit issue/resolutions and close issue)

But I actually had a few different versions VB.NET for Vista/7 platforms (vb6 has some compatibility issues but is more stable in XP and no .net framework to mess up vendor apps) and I also did a C# version as well for snits and giggles.

Once closed they are only accessible through the DB which will eventually be exported to create a knowledge base.

It's a very crude ticketing system but effective and does what we need it to. I could obviously make it more advanced but I'm a tech at my company not a programmer.. Just trying to make our lives easier and more organized

There's a few python projects at work that I could pick up if I learn it and it's billable at 100$ an hour so I might have to start learning!

*Anyone have interesting program ideas to make life easier let me know, I'm trying to program real world problems since most examples are very poor scenarios.