New Cell Phone Plan

ATT or Verizon?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have the Droid X on Verizon, and I love it. I had a BB Curve on ATT and had to get rid of it, as even in the middle of Chicago I could not get a signal in a ton of places. I have had no issues with my Verizon service so far, and the X is awesome. I would caution that you will need to charge the battery daily, but it is supposed to get better when Android 2.2 drops next month, and is for sure better then the incredible.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Droid X on Verizon, and I love it. I had a BB Curve on ATT and had to get rid of it, as even in the middle of Chicago I could not get a signal in a ton of places. I have had no issues with my Verizon service so far, and the X is awesome. I would caution that you will need to charge the battery daily, but it is supposed to get better when Android 2.2 drops next month, and is for sure better then the incredible.

It should be noted that the Droid X has the highest rated battery life of any smart phone on the market (yes, SJ, that includes iPhone). Additionally, they have a 1-click root for the Droid X that I used on some phones here in the office.

Really, don't wait the 20 days, ditch AT&T, go with VZW (Sprint is actually pretty good now too, but you get a discount with VZW). The Droid X is a waaaaaaay better phone than the Aria.

I will have to try Zombies Live . . .

Yeah the Droid X is pretty nice, but i dont like the look of it, and how the camera sticks off the back making it bump up. I know someone with the incredible, and i really like using it and the way it looks. I don't know yet, it's something I'm talking about with my fiance right now since she will be on my plan soon also, and her entire family is on ATT. Also I will need to pay the $200 for the phone, when i only ended up paying $30 for the Aria in the first place. I'll update whatever happens, cuz I'll decide very soon if i wanna switch.

Yeah the Droid X is pretty nice, but i dont like the look of it, and how the camera sticks off the back making it bump up. I know someone with the incredible, and i really like using it and the way it looks. I don't know yet, it's something I'm talking about with my fiance right now since she will be on my plan soon also, and her entire family is on ATT. Also I will need to pay the $200 for the phone, when i only ended up paying $30 for the Aria in the first place. I'll update whatever happens, cuz I'll decide very soon if i wanna switch.

You know, I forgot to mention, the Droid 2 is out, and man is it sweet. If your office gets a discount on voice/data plans, you may get equipment discounts as well. The Droid 2 is a little smaller than the Droid X as well, which may be a plus for you from what you're saying.

As far as her family being on AT&T, if you get share plan, you can get Friends & Family on Verizon and call them as if they were other Verizon owners. That being said, F&F might not be available on the lowest tier share plan. My F&F supports 10 numbers.

(edited)

Whether its an iphone or a different smartphone, the coverage is all the same, and i would still get no bars at work. plus i like the android software much more than iphone. i have my ipod touch for doing the things i want out of an ipod.

edit plus i bought it because i got ak iller deal on the phone, the iphone was, you guessed it, not on sale.

Edited by samurai nightling

(edited)

as i'm sure you all guessed, my head just exploded at the idea of someone being on AT&T and buying a smartphone that's not an iphone.

I think, for once, I agree with you on this iphone-related statement.

...I still want a Droid X though.

Edited by boiler

Not gg, i changed my mind and I switched to Verizon. My Droid Incredible should be in the store tomorrow or Thursday and I'll be setting it up then. I like the incredible for the size, the way it feels when i hold it, the camera, and i like the overall feel of the OS on the HTC rather then how its set up on Motorola. I'll be returning my Aria and cancelling the plan once i get the new phone.

Not gg, i changed my mind and I switched to Verizon. My Droid Incredible should be in the store tomorrow or Thursday and I'll be setting it up then. I like the incredible for the size, the way it feels when i hold it, the camera, and i like the overall feel of the OS on the HTC rather then how its set up on Motorola. I'll be returning my Aria and cancelling the plan once i get the new phone.

Good deal, the Incredible is a good phone! :wiggle2:

Yeah a guy i work with has the Incredible, it's pretty sweet. I tried out the Droid 2 at the store, it didn't wow me. I hate the way Motorola set up the Android system on their phones. And the Droid X, well if you're into a huge @$$ screen then you're into it, I'm not going to fly off the handle about it just because it has HD video capabilities, and its still motorola. So either i didnt like the motorola look and feel of Android or i didn't like version 2.2 Android, which ill end up with soon enough anyways. HTC makes good phones anyway. Only thing I'll prolly regret about getting it over the other 2 is battery life.

Yeah a guy i work with has the Incredible, it's pretty sweet. I tried out the Droid 2 at the store, it didn't wow me. I hate the way Motorola set up the Android system on their phones. And the Droid X, well if you're into a huge @$$ screen then you're into it, I'm not going to fly off the handle about it just because it has HD video capabilities, and its still motorola. So either i didnt like the motorola look and feel of Android or i didn't like version 2.2 Android, which ill end up with soon enough anyways. HTC makes good phones anyway. Only thing I'll prolly regret about getting it over the other 2 is battery life.

Root your phone, get Set CPU, and then run an "On Demand" power scheme.

I have my Moto Droid (original) running Froyo (2.2) at 1.1 ghz...it underclocks down to 250 mhz when it's not in use, and scales anywhere in-between depending on what I'm doing. I only charge about every other day (vs. ever day without it), or if I go nuts and play a ton of SNES or Playstation games that day, I charge it once a day. It's slick.

Also, I don't like the Moto Blur skin they have on their Android OS, I am running vanilla Froyo and like it better than HTC Sense...but it's all preference. The nice thing with Android is, no matter what device you get, you can make the OS look pretty much how you want with a little work. :peace:

Yeah but I'm not entirely sure about voiding my warranty right off the bat. And the chances of me screwing up the root are greater than me not screwing it up. Otherwise i would say I'm all for rooting it.

Pretty hard to screw up: http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/08/03/motorola-droid-x-gets-single-click-root-on-pc-or-on-phone-its-your-choice/

Also, it's very easy to unroot with the same program. No one that I've talked to (and I've talked to a lot of Android owners--it's how I've learned so much about it) has had trouble exchanging rooted devices. :shrug03:

That being said, aside from overclocking, it will also let you tether and create wireless hotspots for free....biiiiig bonus

Yeah i had a question about wireless hotspots, if u know the answers. Friend of mine said it costs extra to create a wifi hot spot? And i know the incredible cant right now, but he said it will be able to with the 2.2 Froyo update whenever it happens. Is this true? I thought creating a wifi hotspot was free but i could be wrong.

Yeah i had a question about wireless hotspots, if u know the answers. Friend of mine said it costs extra to create a wifi hot spot? And i know the incredible cant right now, but he said it will be able to with the 2.2 Froyo update whenever it happens. Is this true? I thought creating a wifi hotspot was free but i could be wrong.

On an UNrooted phone, the wifi hotspot feature costs another $20/mo through Verizon. As far as I know, only the Droid X and Droid 2 can do this currently. (I could very well be wrong)

I have heard about apps that, on a rooted phone, would allow you to make a wifi hotspot without any additional monthly charges (assuming you have unlimited data plan - lord help you if you tether with a lesser data plan)

(edited)

Well i had a little hiccup in transferring the old number over, it crossed in their system but never in my phone so i had to go back and have them reset it and get the number working, now everything is all good :). I really really like the Incredible. I might root the phone after the 2.2 Froyo update comes out and i first install that, then root.

Well i had a little hiccup in transferring the old number over, it crossed in their system but never in my phone so i had to go back and have them reset it and get the number working, now everything is all good :). I really really like the Incredible. I might root the phone after the 2.2 Froyo update comes out and i first install that, then root.

I thought that the 2.2 update was already released for the Incredible?

Either way, I think you'll be glad you ditched AT&T for the VZW and DInc.

Let us know how you like the Incredible, and especially if there are any drawbacks

(edited)

No the 2.2 is not officially on the incredible yet, if you root it there's a 2.2 Rom u can load I believe. The incredible will get 2.2 though for sure they have announced. As far as drawbacks, battery life is all I have to complain about, and rooting can help extend that. I've also read that soon the incredible will have software available for taking 720p HD video since the hardware is capable of it, it just lacks the software. With 2.2 it should also support mobile hotspots, even though rooting already fixes this issue. Once it can do that id say this phone is extremely comparable to the Droid X, without being so huge. I love it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

No the 2.2 is not officially on the incredible yet, if you root it there's a 2.2 Rom u can load I believe. The incredible will get 2.2 though for sure they have announced. As far as drawbacks, battery life is all I have to complain about, and rooting can help extend that. I've also read that soon the incredible will have software available for taking 720p HD video since the hardware is capable of it, it just lacks the software. With 2.2 it should also support mobile hotspots, even though rooting already fixes this issue. Once it can do that id say this phone is extremely comparable to the Droid X, without being so huge. I love it so far.

If you haven't gotten the OTA yet, check this out: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-incredible-froyo