Best Ram

Primus

(edited)

Need to get some new ram I think. Blue screen quite often now. Memory dump after about 10 minutes of cod4 and even when I whatch vids online. I'm assuming its ram, and if so is this decent. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4089566&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

And whats a good timing to look for?

Crucial, Patriot, OCZ, Kingston, :shrug03:

Edited by Primus

Toms Hardware or some such looked at ram vs performance a year or two ago.

The takeaway?

Get stuff that is cheap and works for what you want - Super cool timings and market speak does next to nothing for actual performance.

Put another way:

Stock CPU speed = get the cheapest you can get that will work for your CPU (whatever timings and type it needs at minimum).

Overclocked CPU = get the cheapest that will overclock to what you want. The key here is that it is stable at overclocked speeds. That's all you need.

I'm l33t! I'm gonna have teh fastest machine around = wasting your money as the performance gains are essentially nil.

I've used all three of the manufacturers you listed - all have been perfectly fine.

I've had issues with gskill before but I've also had good sets of RAM from them, currently I'm using these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220293

They are a tad cheaper than the ones you mentioned and are very good. I don't OC at all anymore so I'm not sure how they are at higher speeds than stock.

If you plan on OCing then my friend recommends http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231283

He says they are the best for said overclocking lol.

GLHF

I'm using Mushkin in my desktop, G.Skill in my wife's laptop, G.Skill was in my old laptop, OCZ in my brother's computer, Crucial in the other brother's computer, Kingston in my Mom's machine, and I think Dad is running Patriot...

I've had good luck with all of those brands . . . though I did have a bad OCZ stick when I first used them. (they were a fairly new company at the time). My Mushkin RAM has been a killer contender.

You should run memtest first to make sure it is the memory. Ubuntu's live CD has the Memtest built in so when you first boot up with it, it asks you if you want to run memtest. You may not have bad memory. No sense in spending money on something you do not need.

Thanks for the tip ZD. Turns out it wasn't the ram after all. Found out the fan on the cpu heatsink gave out. Replaced it for 30 bucks and all is well again in the land of make believe. :luxhello:

You should run memtest first to make sure it is the memory. Ubuntu's live CD has the Memtest built in so when you first boot up with it, it asks you if you want to run memtest. You may not have bad memory. No sense in spending money on something you do not need.

I was going to say that but I figured Primus was just looking for an excuse to upgrade. :D

I like Ultimate Boot CD. Try out Memtest86+ on it.

Yeah, ram is ram is ram.. From the best to the worst benchmark's there is such a small difference in performance..

I use the generic Buffalo brand and have had good luck with it.

I was going to say that but I figured Primus was just looking for an excuse to upgrade. :D

I like Ultimate Boot CD. Try out Memtest86+ on it.

I also use Ultimate Boot CD

I was going to say that but I figured Primus was just looking for an excuse to upgrade

My next upgrade will be to a bigger monitor and a quad core but I'm good for now.