Bed Bugs

Ringadon

So I got a letter today from campus health services telling us about how Bed Bugs have been found on campus, blah blah blah, be careful.

Thinking back I've heard a lot about bed bugs in the news, both local and national lately culminating in New York's infestation.

What's the big deal and why do so many people worry about the little buggers? They aren't the vectors for any known disease and it would take more than can feed in a night to kill you or even really injure you.

What's all the fuss about? Seriously...

Comments?

Good ole wiki answers it mostly but I'll elaborate a bit too. Wiki quote, "A number of health effects may occur due to bedbugs including skin rashes, psychological effects and allergic symptoms.[26] Bedbug bites or cimicosis may lead to a range of skin manifestations from no visible effects to prominent blisters." The bites can hurt, burn, itch, swell up to blisters, and frankly be VERY annoying. You could be allergic to it as well, causing possible worse symptoms. Not to mention people will always be staring at your god awful rash and wondering what the heck you have and whether or not they can get it. Enjoy your stay on campus.

GC Alumni
(edited)

They are VERY difficult to get rid of if you want to stay away from fumigation extermination methods. They multiply like crazy, crap (as in bathroom) like crazy, and leave irritating bite marks everywhere.

My brother went to New York and brought them back with him in his suitcase. Were a pain in the butt for my brother and parents. Oddly enough, I never had any kind of bed bug in my room at all (all of our bedrooms are all right next to each other), just theirs. Haven't seen or heard anything about them from my brother or parents for the past year now.

I would try to put double-sided tape around your bed (the box-spring part because they like to hide in the bed frame) if you're paranoid about it since they only come out at night when they sense something that gives off body heat. Keep clothing off the floor too. Actually, keep anything you think might hold the annoyances off of the floor all together.

Edited by JackieChan

As Jackie said, they're a pain to get rid of. They bite and most people (never heard of anyone not) get very irritating marks from them, to the point where you might not be able to sleep. In many cases they require all your bedding, clothes, carpeting and drapery to be either boiled/fumigated (expensive) or destroyed. They can also lie dormant so you might not even know you have them for a while...(*cough* Jackie)

Edited by anonymo

They can also lie dormant so you might not even know you have them for a while...(*cough* Jackie)

Nah, they always seemed to appear during the summer. I know I didn't have them in my room since I never had any bites or anything. During the winter my parents would put all their bedding/stuff on the floor and leave it there for like a month since I'm sure they can't stand the cold since they depend on feeding off of blood from warm-blooded whatcha-call-its. I actually think it's been more than a year since there have been any trace of them from my brother/parents.

I got lucky I guess. Maybe my cat who loves to sleep on my bed ate them all or something.