US Travel Tips

TheDude

So a good buddy of mine is going to the University of Chicago Illinois for a couple of months as a foreign exchange student. He's a smart guy, but unfortunately his English is pretty bad and he has absolutely no clue about American culture.

For example: i had to explain to him that calling a black person the N-word is something you should never do. :ignore: In Belgium the word exists too but doesn't have that bad a connotation, we use it all the time without bad intentions.

So my question to all of you is: any other travel tips? Things he should take into account? Things he should bring with him, leave behind? Say or don't say? Be wary of? Etc.

Note: he already knows not to accept candy from strangers. :biggrinpimp:

Don't walk alone through any bad areas of town, unless he likes being mugged.

This. Even in the "nicer" commercial/shopping areas on Mich. Ave north of the river, I wouldn't walk around alone at night. As for tipping, doing so in a restaurant or to a bell hop at a hotel or cabbie would be the only situations that I would think call for it. If he is going to be spending a lot of time downtown, he should also familiarize himself with the train system. It's not the nicest public transport I've seen, but it can get you almost anywhere you need to go, including the suburbs.

For example: i had to explain to him that calling a black person the N-word is something you should never do. :ignore:

I wasn't aware that this word was used in such a manner in other countries, but I think your warning bares repeating. NEVER EVER EVER EVER USE THAT WORD. Even if he hears a black person say it to another black person, he should never use it himself.

Lighter note:

Make sure to tell him he needs to try authentic Chicago-style deep dish pizza. I personally recommend Gino's East just off of Michigan Avenue. mmmmmmmm.........

Don't walk alone through any bad areas of town, unless he likes being mugged.

This. Even in the "nicer" commercial/shopping areas on Mich. Ave north of the river, I wouldn't walk around alone at night. As for tipping, doing so in a restaurant or to a bell hop at a hotel or cabbie would be the only situations that I would think call for it. If he is going to be spending a lot of time downtown, he should also familiarize himself with the train system. It's not the nicest public transport I've seen, but it can get you almost anywhere you need to go, including the suburbs.

For example: i had to explain to him that calling a black person the N-word is something you should never do. :ignore:

I wasn't aware that this word was used in such a manner in other countries, but I think your warning bares repeating. NEVER EVER EVER EVER USE THAT WORD. Even if he hears a black person say it to another black person, he should never use it himself.

Lighter note:

Make sure to tell him he needs to try authentic Chicago-style deep dish pizza. I personally recommend Gino's East just off of Michigan Avenue. mmmmmmmm.........

Pretty much all of this post, although I prefer Lou Malnati's to Gino's East; still, Gino's East is not bad (I had a bad experience with a hostess at one of their restaurants though).

(edited)

We use the word all the time, most of us don't use it in a negative way (it's still a curse word though, you won't hear any news anchors use it). It's probably because we didn't really have a history of slavery with as much turmoil such as yours. Our anti-discriminationlaws were developped more gradually.

These are all great tips, keep em coming if you think of anything else! (which just reminds me i should probably mention to my friend he should avoid the phrase 'you people')

Edited by TheDude

Be nice and if you tinkle someone off just smile and speak to them in your native language, as most folks here do not speak anything other than English. If you have the time and money Shed's Aquarium is really cool. Chicago has some of the better museums as well.

The N word actually means hard worker and only developed negative connotations due to slavery. It will not make you new friends here, but in Europe the rap culture has brought the word into the common slang and without our historical references it doesn't bring the same feelings forward.

Couple of truths about our culture:

We actually tend to like folks from other cultures and places.

We have crappy beer so buy only what you remember from home lol

Be forgiving in our "history" because what is "really old " to Europeans was before our country began.

Try to relax and not cram too much into a day. I think it sucks to have to rest up after a vacation.

Preacher, your "american beer sucks" comment couldn't be farther from the truth - you just need to pick a LOCAL brew. Microbreweries are popping up everywhere of late, and they're putting out some pretty great stuff. As long as TheDude's buddy buys local in a category he likes, I'm pretty sure he'll find something very good.

But yeah, otherwise stay away from Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. Not a chance that he'll find "beer he remembers from home" over here. Apart from a the british isles, there are very few european brews that make there way over here.