Monk Easier than Witch Doctor IMO

Garychios

I find that the Monk that I am playing now is easier to use, has more damage power and is stronger than my Witch doctor that had the same stats. Anyone else experience something like that?

At lvl 30, My monk will destroy my level 30 witch doctor. Kind of sad, since my witch doctor at level 56 now is pretty stout in terms of armor etc.

Is your WD geared for DPS? The problem with Monks is that unless you go for a DPS build, you're stuck with a tank build, and it's very hard to get tank builds to do damage, unless you invest a lot in it (more so than you would getting a WD to be a DPS build).

And today, my whole perception on the Monk being a tank crumbled. My little bro, playing a DH with 400 resist, 1044 life on hit was able to tank and kill Ghom. Me, a Monk with 1000 resist, 1200 life on hit, 600 life regen, got ripped to shreds by Ghom. I asked my bro what skills he used. DH has bombs that regens life, a turret that reduces damage, and a shadow step skill that negates 65% damage. With that, he was able to solo Ghom, with me just running around trying to avoid Ghom's poison clouds.

I guess my point is that if you still haven't brought your Monk to 60, you might want to reconsider re-rolling DH.

Help me Sky :'( I'm losing faith in my Monk *sob sob*

People pretty much have come to the conclusion that demon hunters are the only really good class to play in inferno. They're comparable to the Hammerdins of D2 in my opinion, everyone has one (except me). I am still finding the Wizard to be fun and viable in Inferno, but not for soloing. As long as I'm with a team I do fairly well. I'm slowly building my resistances up. I'm in the 700's and higher for all.

Yes, I've definitely noticed. My Demon Hunter at level 30ish is much easier than my Witch Doctor when it was at 30. At level 60 the best my Witch Doctor can do is Zombie Bear spam when playing with others. When alone it's a lot of slow enemies down, kiting them, and pelting them with blow darts, which is the FIRST skill you get. It's sad really.

My wizard got caught in the attack speed nerf. Still north of 20,000 DPS but with the decrease my lack of defense and resists kind of hurts. Took a few days off from the game; need to get back on the horse.

I just wish Blzd would settle down on the changes and let people start confidently experimenting with alt-builds without worrying about having thier work and/or buys go to waste.

My wizard got caught in the attack speed nerf. Still north of 20,000 DPS but with the decrease my lack of defense and resists kind of hurts. Took a few days off from the game; need to get back on the horse.

I just wish Blzd would settle down on the changes and let people start confidently experimenting with alt-builds without worrying about having thier work and/or buys go to waste.

Yeah, but the nerf of attack speed was necessary. I read that 15% attack speed was equal to something like 200+ of your primary stat.

My DH is up to level 53 now, and I consistently do solid damage (frost arrow ftw), but even in Hell, it doesn't take a whole lot to take me down. My vitality is close to my dexterity total, and I still go down quickly. I've tried not to glass canon this guy, but I'm wondering if the damage I'm leaving on the table would be more valuable than the extra couple of hits I can take. Damage is about 4.3k. I am near the end of Act I Hell, and ran into a Spider champ pack with Fast, Molten, Fire Chain. I died 3 times on those bastards, mainly because the caltrops were barely slowing them down at all. Might be time to try out Smoke Screen.

Hey, When playing with others, I realize my Monk is stronger than all the other players. I dont have any special armor etc. I have two swords and no shield. I rarely die and I kill everything faster than others. I just don get it. I am using a lot of resist with my Witch Doctor. But I feel his damage is not to par.

Hey, When playing with others, I realize my Monk is stronger than all the other players. I dont have any special armor etc. I have two swords and no shield. I rarely die and I kill everything faster than others. I just don get it.

What's your level, difficulty mode, and DPS?

I am using a lot of resist with my Witch Doctor. But I feel his damage is not to par.

Resist is a defensive attribute unless I'm interpreting your words wrong (?). It doesn't have anything to do with damage. Well regardless, what is the DPS of your WD?

Edited by TNGHuntard

I might be wrong, but I think right now, you have gear that have a good mix of both resist and dexterity thereby giving you very good damage and survivability.

But what I found is that at Inferno, as a Monk you have to really stack resist if you're going to survive elites. That means you need to go for gear with ~100 resist if not more. Gear with ~100 resist will very rarely also come with good dexterity. Therefore you end up sacrificing a lot of dexterity just to get your resist up.

Monk is, by far, the hardest class in the game to be geared for solo or group play in Inferno, due to the melee nature, and the fact that monks are expected to roll as tanks since they can't get to the dps range that the ranged dps get to.

That is not to say that a monk cannot dps, because they can. However, I've noticed all of the monks I have come in contact with are one or two shot on Inferno, and that means they're undergeared.

Currently, on Inferno, magicks like arcane sentry deal 20% of my health if i stand in it for 2 sec(s) and I have noticed people are just dying instantly to it. The instant deaths are the indication that players are under-geared, and, fortunately, the

ghom encounter now properly shows who is and who isn't geared for the encounter, as it's no longer a push-over.

I've seen witch doctors who are incredibly proficient. Assuming you spec properly for inferno group play, which requires that you use all three of your crowd control abilities, you can do an amazing amount of dps along with that, which gives witch doctors some of the highest survivability in the game, when properly played.