Problem with RAm

Kuma

Hi, I have little problem with my RAMs.

Currently I have 2 x 2 GB Muskhin ( DRAM : 666'2 MHz ; FSB : DRAM : 2:10) and I wanted to upgrade my RAM, so I bought 1 4 GB stick of Kingston brand. No store does sell Mushkin so I bought Kingston instead.

The nice part : It doesn't get recognized. When I ran the test as Crucial or any other, it says I still have only 4 GB slot.

So, the question: Is the problem in slot, ram or brand?

Thanks

Bios is updated, RAM is still not recognized. It bothers me something. I thought I have bought 1600 MHz RAM but CPU-Z said I have 1333 MHz. It says DRAM Frequency is 666'2 and FSB to DRAM ratio is 2:10, so 666'2 x 2 is 1333 MHz ( I guess). Ok, I bought stick and it doesn't work.

It is possible the uncompatible of 2 brands? Can it be possible if you got 2 different speeds, the slower one is not recognized?

More than likely if your board will support the RAM and the stick doesn't work in a slot that works with another stick, then you have a DOA stick of RAM. First go to your board manufacturer's website and check to make sure it does, in fact, support 4gb per slot(or higher). If it does then go exchange it for another.

As far as different speeds together, most boards down-clock the RAM to the lower speed.

My board supports up to 16 GB RAM which is 4 GB per slot but I think I kinda settle the problem. I took all RAM out and put new one in. First the PC detected only 2 GB but 1 min later it detected the entirely 4 GB (1 stick RAM). Then I shut down PC and put 1 older one and it worked. It detected 1 new one and 1 old one ( 6 GB). I also repeated with the last one old one.

I'm still in doubts that this new one will let me down, not today, but in few days, so I would take it back and buy 1 or 2 stick for same price I did now, in some other store. Man, if we wouldn't have such high marges :\

Thanks for help

Remove the other sticks of RAM and try just that one new stick. Removing the other RAM will determine if the RAM is bad or if it doesn't like playing with others. Try different slots too and make sure that you have your BIOS set to auto detect RAM voltage. There is a good possibility the the 2x 2GB sticks use different voltage than the new stick and they cannot work together.

Zero: Where I can see in BIOS the voltage? Btw, in CPU-Z for memory it shows on all slots (3 slots in use) voltage 1.5 V. And I did pull old out and put the new one in and it got detected as I described before. I admit I didn't try to play with only new 4 GB RAM, I just tested a little on pages, little game and that's it.

Remove the other sticks of RAM and try just that one new stick. Removing the other RAM will determine if the RAM is bad or if it doesn't like playing with others. Try different slots too and make sure that you have your BIOS set to auto detect RAM voltage. There is a good possibility the the 2x 2GB sticks use different voltage than the new stick and they cannot work together.

As I described before, maybe I was unclear at, I did and now the it's detected. I took all old RAMs out and put the new one first. It worked and then I step by step put the old (2 GB sticks) in it and got all detected. I am more in thinking to rather buy another stick of same brand and to took old ones out and have them just in case. Or at least I still can have 1 inside.

rofl facepalm

Really? Which part of it? I don't see it from my side.

Edited by Kuma

It worked as in just about every motherboard out there you have to populate Channel A, Slot 1, with the largest DIMM in the set you're going to be using. If you would have checked your motherboard manual usually they have a memory population table showing supported configurations. Also note that since you only ordered a single DIMM you're stuck in single-channel mode meaning your memory is now running half as fast, bit of a downgrade. You should order a second 4G DIMM, put it in Channel B, Slot 1, then put the 2G DIMMs in Channel A, Slot 2 and Channel B, Slot 2 so you get your dual channel memory back. As for the reported memory speed in CPU-Z, lots of DIMMs feature higher speeds that aren't JEDEC compliant or your motherboard isn't aware of those speeds. In CPU-Z hit the SPD tab and look at the different profiles the RAM, you may have to manually set your timings and voltage in order to obtain the fastest speed. Another thing to note is all DDR3 DIMMs are 1.5V if they're JEDEC compliant - they may have profiles supporting higher speeds at higher voltages but they'll still include a default 1.5V profile.

As I described before, maybe I was unclear at, I did and now the it's detected. I took all old RAMs out and put the new one first. It worked and then I step by step put the old (2 GB sticks) in it and got all detected. I am more in thinking to rather buy another stick of same brand and to took old ones out and have them just in case. Or at least I still can have 1 inside.

rofl facepalm

Really? Which part of it? I don't see it from my side.

I misread that the OS on your system was a 32bit. My error. :)

It's ok Preacher ;) ;)

Amer: I hope I understood your right on those slots :P

On CPU-Z, tab bar SPD are the jedec frequency are all ok, no such any high variation. Even voltage is ok. I checked the voltage in BIOS and it's set as auto, but it's little highly monitored as in CPU-Z, which is 1.584 V.