A suggestion for survivor point sharing.

ctrlfrk

The !np and !sp system is hard to use in the heat of battle. It's also not exactly feasible to bind. I would like to propose an alternative that could be used in addition to the existing system.

It would work like a global pool of points that can be used by anyone but only for !heal or !getup commands.

To donate points you would type !pool <x> or bind sm_pool <x>. You could bind to send one point and just hit it the right number of times. The server might have to group any pool spam before writing it to chat like it does with boomers.

Using the pool would be automatic. If you type !heal and you only have 5 points it would spend your 5 and take 10 from the pool.

To prevent abuse it may be necessary to limit it further. For instance you can't access the pool till you've been incapped for 15 seconds. Or at half incapped health. Or something.

This will allow everything to be bound and avoid misspellings.

What do you guys and girls think?

An interesting idea... but how to allocate points to go to the pool vs. points that stay with an individual survivor? Have a default 50/50 or 80/20, etc... and make that customizable? For example, a setting that let's me keep 33% of the points I earn and send 66% to the pool.

Just trying to envision how the pool gets filled... as it were.

Edit: Not too sure I like the idea of having to type another command to send to the pool... that would require multiple entries throughout the level... and most people don't have enough time already to send to an individual.

Edited by Baloosh

Not too sure I like the idea of having to type another command to send to the pool...

It's exactly the same as having to type !sp, except you don't need to type out the person's name and risk misspelling it.

It also gives you the option of binding it to a key, so if you see someone requesting points you can just hit your bound key the right number of times.

That's the part I like. Much easier to send points to a central location. However, it's the repetition (over and over again throughout the level) that might become an issue... especially for the guys/gals who tend to get a LOT of points in each round.

But it does allow them to more easily send points, just have to do the send commands much more frequently. But like I said, I think it's a neat idea.

I see this as another way for players to grief, by wasting points in this 'pool'. I also see it as an unnecessary additional complication to the already confusing !sendpoints function.

This is communism, I do not wish for half my points to be redistributed! I need my points to pay for important things like katanas, AKs and fireworks - let alone cola and gnomes!!!

Seriously at worst, this should be optional at the start of each round!

Edited by Lookback

(edited)
Seriously at worst, this should be optional at the start of each round!

It's always optional, if you don't want to share your points don't add them to the pool ><

I get the feeling you're all not reading my full post.

Biggs:

I see this as another way for players to grief, by wasting points in this 'pool'.

You can only use pool points to !getup or !heal. I don't really see a situation where this can be used to grief unless the player is intentionally incapping themselves, in which case they need to be kicked either way.

Toner:

I LIKE THIS IDEA, NO ONE HAS A MICROPHONE TO STATE HOW MANY POINTS THEY NEED.

Existing system:

<voice>: I only need 5 points someone send it to me?!

<9 other voices>: Who are you? type !np

toner: !np 5

player 2: !sp tuner 5 (No point sent)

player 3: !sp ton 5 (Maybe points sent? depends if someone else has 'ton' in their name)

player 4: !sp toner 5 (5 points! finally!)

player 5: !sp toner 5 (10 points now... )

player 6: !sp toner all (24 points now!)

player 5: oh my give me my points back!

player 6: me too man i sent you like 14!

New system:

<voice>: Send me points I only need 5 to get up!

player 1: !pool 5

Now you can get up.

If other players also !pool 5 then the next person who gets incapped can also get up.

Edited by ctrlfrk

I could see a system like this being for emergency situations where you have a tank steam rolling mains and they need buy up quickly before being killed. Therefore if you have to be incapped for 15 seconds that is completely off the table.

Second, binding this has the same problem w/ trying to bind sm_sp because you can't just plugin a value to the bind to give as points. Even if you bind to pool 1 point, you still have to press it enough times to get to the desired count. The higher the desired count, the more work you brain has to do to make sure it doesn't over pool, your brain is already trying to keep your survivor alive.

Third, you still have the same problem w/ multiple people sending points to the pull when someone needs to use it and doesn't have enough. A bunch of players with good intentions hurry to put points in the pool, more than the person needs and now you have a pool w/ an excess amount of points that you can't get back because that requires complex logic of trying to distribute points evenly. Players would want their points back to be used for other purchases other than healing(crates are a constant buy )

Forth, w/ the limitations you suggested such as incapped for 15 secs or half incap health, that just means you cannot use the pool until you've satisfied the requirements.Meanwhile, the infected could be spit farming/ hunter abusing your carcass until you reach that point. You get to buy up, but the infected generate a good chunk of points. This basically renders the system useless than just simply manually passing the guy points which is quicker.

Fifth, if you take out the limitations, then you have the problem of people griefing and using up the pool by self-incapping or just being bad and being incapped all the time.

The thing is, and this may sound a bit rude:

I don't want some guy to spend my points buying up after incapping himself playing like an idiot. He got himself killed, then he can stay dead. It doesn't happen often, but once in a while a player comes along that makes you want to AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh... *bump

I don't want some guy to spend my points buying up after incapping himself playing like an idiot

Then don't pool it, just use !sp

You raise good points paro. For it to be useful you'd need to remove the restrictions I suggested. In which case people griefing by incapping lots should probably be kicked, or just fall back to !sp in that situation.

As for having to hit your !pool 1 key heaps of times, you could probably just type in !pool 10 instead and it would still be faster than typing !sp playername 10

Actually your idea has some value in it Ctrlfrk. It happens quite often that the best player on the team has the most points, and is the last one standing. Which prevents him from sending points.

How about every point you earn over let's say 40 points, goes to the pool automatically?

How about a reply send points command -sm_rsp

It replies to the last !np and ony if its under 15 if they are alive? Also only sends points if they haven't already gotten them. Also also considers points they have gotten since typing !np

• Like 1

Now crashes idea makes sense and can already use existing api !sp <no args> to implement the functionality. Logic would have to be done to prevent someone requesting a ridiculous amount of points and the system jacks all your points. Binding !sp to a key is definitely much easier that !pool <amount>.

that's why I was thinking a limit of 15, or more if you are dead. maybe if multiple people say !np within a 30 second time period !rsp will bring up a menu to select which one to send to