3 Gaming PCs for Fatty's Girls

Fatty

Looking for whoever tends this forum to help me spend some tax return money on my 3 girls.

I really don't want to build....however obviously money talks.

They want laptops, but that's a negative. Kids break laptops and laptop chargers get broken and lost, and laptops disappear and teenagers like to skype, etc....these PCs are going around the first floor in the corners, sorta like this:

(trying to remind himself how to post a picture that's not on the net)

post-3-0-53555400-1356200486_thumb.jpg

(that photo is of the PC that my friends in GC built for me and presented to me at FFsomeyear....still pounding strong. That photo was also taken while posting this thread, but not when you're reading it, unless you're reading it while I'm typing it, which would be cool...and weird.)

Reasoning: Girls want the 4 of us to play LFD2, Flatout, etc together. So that's what the machines have to do.

I was just browsing around BestBuy and noted some that they claimed to be "gaming" pcs with 8GB memory, 500 GB or 1 TB drives, etc, ranging $600 - $800....

You guys have any suggestions? Obviously I'm not including the monitor, which will be necessary....those all-in-one things would be super cool, but I'd guess I'd spend the money for the concept.

So, help me get my LAN PLANNED! Any / all suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

If you wanna build it yourself

Optical Drive - $19.99

Case - $89.99

Hard Drive - $64.99

Video Card - 219.99

Power Supply - 59.99

Memory - 35.99

Motherboard - 69.99

Processor - 194.99

So 752.99 for just about equal performance to the pre-built one, but with higher quality parts all around. The case is expensive, feel free to pick any mATX/ATX you like, I just hate cheap cases :) If you wanna go cheaper I'd suggest downgrading the CPU first down to a i3-3220 at the lowest, or downgrading the video card.

Edit: I'd also advise not going for any all in one solution. Rarely do they offer an actual PCIe slot(video card), but they often suffer from heat problems. They use non-standard parts(like the PSU) and if the LCD fails the whole thing is junk, just like if the motherboard fails.

Edited by amertrash

I really don't want to build....however obviously money talks.

If you've never built a pc, it's a pretty fun project (if you have time), and maybe easy enough that you could have the girls help too. Of course, there's always the risk that if you build 3 computers one of them just won't turn on when you're finished...

Reasoning: Girls want the 4 of us to play LFD2, Flatout, etc together. So that's what the machines have to do.

Fatty's starting his own team for competitive l4d2!

For $90 I think the Haf 922 is a better case. MIght be bias as I own the case.

Kinda of apples to oranges. The Lian Li PC-A05 is about the smallest lightest mATX/ATX case you can get and still cram two 11" video cards in it. It weighs just about half as much as the HAF 922, and is nearly half the physical side @ 2468in^3 vs 4373in^3. It is tiny, well built, all aluminum, tool-less and very LAN friendly. I will say it's a little odd as they shoved the PSU in front bottom to get it that small and it blows heat out the front and intakes from the rear. This time of year it rules as it keeps my feet warm, not so much in the summertime. As for the straight up subjective form side I'd take the Lian-Li as it's clean straight lines with no windows/LEDs/light up lights as I grew out of that stage long ago :).

Edited by amertrash

For $90 I think the Haf 922 is a better case. MIght be bias as I own the case.

Kinda of apples to oranges. The Lian Li PC-A05 is about the smallest lightest mATX/ATX case you can get and still cram two 11" video cards in it. It weighs just about half as much as the HAF 922, and is nearly half the physical side @ 2468in^3 vs 4373in^3. It is tiny, well built, all aluminum, tool-less and very LAN friendly. I will say it's a little odd as they shoved the PSU in front bottom to get it that small and it blows heat out the front and intakes from the rear. This time of year it rules as it keeps my feet warm, not so much in the summertime. As for the straight up subjective form side I'd take the Lian-Li as it's clean straight lines with no windows/LEDs/light up lights as I grew out of that stage long ago :).

Yeah, I don't really like the look and the LEDs (which I turn off) but after I swapped to the Haf 922 my temps went down over 10C. It is a pain to carry around though :(

GC Founder

That's was cool...but not for this lol.

Thank you all for your replies. I'll have to see what my budget is. I've built several PCs, just don't know how much I want to do that. Would be awesome to have them help though.

If you do decide to build, let me know before you buy...on top of the 24" lcd, i have one pretty good video card, HD6870 I think, and I probably still have an 8800GT, which may still be useful depending on what they are going to play. Might even have a couple RAM sticks.

Whatever extra stuff I have is yours if you want it, just let me know.