Upgrade ideas?

ZeroDamage

So my son is now getting into PC gaming a bit courtesy of a buddy and Command & Conquer. So I am thinking of maybe doing a minor upgrade on my computer and recycling those parts to a computer for him. I already have an older Chieftec full tower case for him so that isn’t a problem. The system currently has an intel Core 2 Duo of some kind but it doesn’t boot and it could be a number of things. So I am going to just build it out new.

This is what I am thinking; if I do this, I should upgrade a few components on my system and put the older parts into my son’s gaming system and trust me, he will be flying good. I am thinking of upgrading my Asus Crosshair IV Formula and AMD 6x core Phenom. I will keep my video card which is the latest Nvidia 670 card. I may upgrade my RAM depending on what I upgrade to next and what I have now is 8GM of DDR3. He will need a new PSU too probably but I may consider putting a new one in my case instead since I had to pull a fan out to fit it in my case. I will need to get him a decent video card for his first but nothing expensive; just adequate is what I want.

So what I am looking for is something great for gaming but also cost effective. I like my motherboards to be equipped with great layout. An aftermarket cooler for the CPU would be great too and if there are any self-contained water cooling kits, I would consider those as well. They’ve gone a long way in the 10 years that I last touched one.

I will spec this up myself as well but would love community input as well until I have time to do it.

Okay, so far this is what I am leaning towards for a motherboard.

It is cheaper at Amazon than NewEgg currently. $185

MSI Z77 MPOWER

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-Motherboard-Intel/dp/B0090Z39EA?tag=hardfocom-20

This looks like the CPU of choice.

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core: $229.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

And perhaps this for the PSU.

Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX850) $169.99

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-850-Watt-Certified-High-Performance/dp/B003PJ6QW4?tag=hardfocom-20

Oh and why stray from air cooling? You're too old to be all overclocking and burning CPUs you need that extra cash for stuff like insurance and gasoline lol. Today's shellshocker on Newegg is a tripple fan bt Zalmon for $45. I have been pretty impressed with my zalmon coolers in the past.

I have a pretty good air cooler now and will just keep it on the existing CPU. Those 6-core AMD CPU's can run kind of hot.

I only want the water because it means less dust blowing onto my CPU and motherboard. My case is filtered but it still gets in.

• 2 weeks later...

/sigh

Been looking and reading for a week and still do not know what I should get if anything right now. My son is using my laptop because he wasn't into PC gaming until now. I want it back and think it may be better to upgrade my existing system and pass along my current system to him.

I am torn as to whether i should go with another AMD build (not that great in gaming performance) that is much cheaper than an Intel but the Intels blow AMD out of the water in most game performance. But the Intels are just so expensive from the motherboard all the way to the CPU. What i will pay for a motherboard alone can be the cost of both the CPU and motherboard for AMD. I am looking and waiting for some good deals on Intel but they are few and far between and there are too many choices as to what to get.

Either I go Intel or the cost for an almost parallel upgrade to another AMD just isn't worth it.

The best value for the money apparently for Intel would be this i7 CPU (not necessarily from Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-3770K-Quad-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B007SZ0EOW/ref=zg_bs_229189_2

It is the K-version meaning it is unlocked multi but lacks some of the features of the none-k.

This one is of course cheaper. It may be the best value in what I am looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i7-3770-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B007SZ0EHE/ref=zg_bs_229189_3

I am reading a lot of good things about the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. Cheap price too but it isn't too flashy. Going to read up on it more. If the motherboard reviews pan out, that may be the route I take.

For all the reasons you mentioned yourself, I would have a hard time sticking with AMD over Intel. Yeah, it's more money for the i7, but if you're looking to get mileage out of these new parts, I think it would be worth it.

(edited)

My last few builds have been with G.Skill Ripjaws, which have run flawlessly, but I can't necessarily say their much "better" than Corsair, Crucial, etc.

This is more or less what I'm running, except I only have 8GB total:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231609

Oops, just noticed those are the Sniper series, not ripjaws. No clue what the difference is, to be honest. The speed and timings are about the same to what I have though.

Edited by boiler

(edited)

Well if they have a deal worth it, let me know and I'll pick it up and ship it to you.

I may take you up on this offer Preach. Let me know how you want to do it. Cannot beat that price for the 3770k anywhere else online right now. 100 or so cheaper all around.

Edit: The member Preacher cannot receive any new messages

Edited by ZeroDamage

I did grab that Seasonic PSU from the Bewildered upgrade thread which will go in my Son's build. All I need now is the CPU (waiting to contact Preacher) and a decent video card for my son. Open to suggestions on the Video card.

And that deal on Slickdeals today ruins my PSU purchase. Damn.