I was wondering....

Fatty

Yes. When the original typewriters were invented, people typed too fast for the "hammers" and they would often jam. So the keys were organized certain order (QWERTY, aka Dvorak I believe) to slow people down when they type.

This isn't necessary anymore but has been kept because it is what people know.

Dvorak is different. It is a much more efficient layout. I believe it was invented by John Dvorak (a brilliant man). Qwerty is so named because the first 6 letters on the top row are Q-W-E-R-T-Y. The reasoning behind the layout is that it is more natural to use the keys on the Qwerty layout. The Dvorak layout, however, groups letters by their commonality of use thus making it faster (If you take the time to learn how to use it. I myself have never had a typing class and am slow as mud.

Well, I know the QWERTY method is designed to slow people down. I had a keyboarding class in 10th grade (keyboarding = 1 semester, typing = 2) and I have never forgot. I like to consider myself a better than average typist.

I was taught not to look at what I am typing or my fingers when typing. Like if I am typing a paper I wrote out, then I need to look at the paper and not the screen or the keyboard. It actually helps keep me in the flow.

GC Founder

Isn't "E" the most used letter? I'm vaguely remembering some "decoding" exercises in some class. If so, put that sucker in the middle! Then again, it's in the middle of one hand, I guess.

type.jpg

I was surprised, so I printed it to show my kids when I have them someday!

qwerty is to slow you down because of the hammers as said above, Dvorak is for efficiency exactly for the reasons that Fatman said...put it in the middle!

• 3 weeks later...