What university should I go to?

Keralis

The life of a software developer is soul sucking. I have a CS degree and have been doing it for 9 years. AMA

Is it really that bad? I enjoyed Python programming as well as C++, but I was only derping around and doing "simple" coding. My dream job right now is to work for Kingsoft, which has headquarters in Beijing where I interned at. (That's why I considered going to Peking, as chinese companies would most likely prefer chinese universities.)

(edited)

The life of a software developer is soul sucking. I have a CS degree and have been doing it for 9 years. AMA

Is it really that bad? I enjoyed Python programming as well as C++, but I was only derping around and doing "simple" coding. My dream job right now is to work for Kingsoft, which has headquarters in Beijing where I interned at. (That's why I considered going to Peking, as chinese companies would most likely prefer chinese universities.)

There are plenty of things I'd rather not be doing... but I just want to go outside. I've been coding long enough to where I'd rather get paid $10/hr to work in the back country or be a trail runner. The office life is soul sucking. Day in and day out I sit in front of a computer with very little exercise through out the day. The same boring monotonous routine every day. And then you get caught up in the system. It becomes comfortable and you are content just where you are. You make decent money, but you are no longer challenged. Because of your mortgage, car payment, hair salon appointments, crack addiction, pure laziness or societies pressures... you will continue to go sit at that desk day after day and not look to challenge yourself any further.

I've been employed by a fortune 500 company since I was 23. I've worked on embedded projects and applications that are 10+ processes running on a network cluster. I'm mostly a C++ linux programmer, but I've been working with C# and Microsoft for the past few years. I've built mission critical systems for the U.S. Military and my job has sent me around the world a few times... It's all been great and I have a lot of great experience, but I'm completely burned out. When you get to a point where you are working well below your ability level, it becomes very boring. Also, you need to be working for a growing company with management that has a clear direction.

Being a programmer has taken enough of my soul that I'm leaving the 9-5 office life for the summer to go hiking. If all goes as planned, I'll be starting on the south end of the Appalachian Trail in April and heading north. Perhaps, I will try to find a better position when I return or who knows? Either way, I'm canceling my lease, putting my few possessions storage and rolling out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCEUpIg8rE

Edited by NOFX

A buddy of mine and his wife just did the AT for 2-2.5 months before calling it quits (damn mosquitoes). Funniest thing he told me is that the thing he missed most was playing videogames and that he'd fantasize playing Skyrim while on the trail. I thought that was ironic.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, really. Looks like I'm going to go to Princeton, after consulting with my father and brother. Also, I will still be going to a dorm there as it is required for all freshmen for the first year. Looking forward to gaming with you guys in college!

There are plenty of things I'd rather not be doing... but I just want to go outside. I've been coding long enough to where I'd rather get paid $10/hr to work in the back country or be a trail runner. The office life is soul sucking. Day in and day out I sit in front of a computer with very little exercise through out the day. The same boring monotonous routine every day. And then you get caught up in the system. It becomes comfortable and you are content just where you are. You make decent money, but you are no longer challenged. Because of your mortgage, car payment, hair salon appointments, crack addiction, pure laziness or societies pressures... you will continue to go sit at that desk day after day and not look to challenge yourself any further.

I've been employed by a fortune 500 company since I was 23. I've worked on embedded projects and applications that are 10+ processes running on a network cluster. I'm mostly a C++ linux programmer, but I've been working with C# and Microsoft for the past few years. I've built mission critical systems for the U.S. Military and my job has sent me around the world a few times... It's all been great and I have a lot of great experience, but I'm completely burned out. When you get to a point where you are working well below your ability level, it becomes very boring. Also, you need to be working for a growing company with management that has a clear direction.

Being a programmer has taken enough of my soul that I'm leaving the 9-5 office life for the summer to go hiking. If all goes as planned, I'll be starting on the south end of the Appalachian Trail in April and heading north. Perhaps, I will try to find a better position when I return or who knows? Either way, I'm canceling my lease, putting my few possessions storage and rolling out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCEUpIg8rE

I've thought really hard about this, but in reality what you're doing right now is quite different from what I want to do. I want to develop consumer grade applications, while you're making military things. Maybe I'm in denial, but I still want to at least try computer science.

I didn't mean to try and talk you out of it. Studying computer science is solid. You learn to think very methodical and logical and it should never be too difficult to find a job. Instead of building physical structures out of tangible parts, you are building applications out of abstract ideas.

• 1 month later...

IMO, where you get your degree from is almost irrelevant. At most it buys you a litlte bit of 'wow' factor and most importantly a foot in the door. Remember, the laws of physics and math that EE/CS/CE are built upon don't change from university to university so you aren't learning anything different wherever you go. What changes (in theory) is the caliber (and sometimes just the size of the pocketbook) of the students you will share your time with.

My alma matter is ranked in a separate category to most schools since it does not offer a PHD. That said it was also #6 in the nation for Computer Engineering. It has bought be some respect for the people that know and respect the school, but it has always been my performance at work that has spoken much more loudly then the university that I went too.

I agree that if you really want to understand code you should take some hardware, I would recommend to at least look into a Computer Engineering degree as opposed to a Computer Science degree. And if you end up going to Princeton I would highly recommend you do CS/Business, or at least minor in it as that is the true strength of Princeton. Understanding the business side will also make you a more complete engineer when it comes to understanding why the company wants a certain date/cost range/dumb feature. It will also be a great starting point for getting an MBA later on.

Edited by farberio