Birthday's are good to J!

General J

I have a new, totally refreshed view of birthdays. I knew I was going to be getting at least one form of transportation, but not 2. The day started with a card holding a $100 bill to buy some new shoes. After a trip to Finish Line, I was wearing a new pair of Nike Air Max Driven cross trainers, which I needed desperatly for running and lifting. So there ya go. My new form of transportation. I had no clue there were further plans for me that day.

Let me start out by saying for the second time, my 89 celica did NOT pass Missouri's POS emissions test, which is a joke. (ask Playaa about it, although I don't know how he feel's about it) Anyhow, my mom says, "We are going to the Ford dealer to check into what kind of financing we could maybe get on a car. Then maybe we can start looking at cars soon, but you really don't need to go today." Ok, I was now thinking, wow exciting :rolleyes: , and was more excited about my new shoes at this point. BUT THEN my dad calls and says, " Josh really should go with us." (Side note- When my dad wants to get something done, he gets it done. Example - the computer I am using and the $450 worth of floor speakers sitting behind me) So now I was a little more excited.

Since we had a huge hail storm not too long ago, most of the trucks we looked at were 00-02's that had massive hail damage and around 30-40k miles. Then the salesman says, "but we have one truck we just got in about 2 days ago that hasn't even been cleaned up or looked at yet."

To make an already long story short, J picked up his second mode of transportation that day. A Red 1996 Ford Ranger with 46k miles. Has every option you could get for that year and then some. 6cyl. auto, electric door locks, windows, remote locks, 6 disc changer, sport seats (special for that year, they are like the mustang seats. Matching hard bed cover. 17-inch cobra wheels and new tires. Only imperfection was on the passenger side of the hood and will be covered with a black bug guard soon. :D:D:D I will have some pictures soon, if anyone can host them that would be great. Then I will post em up.

Everything will be finalized tomorrow afternoon! the 'rents got a $4000 check from insurance to cover hail damage on the van that is only going to cost (drumroll please) about $700 to fix. So the rest is going for a down payment and taxes. It is supposed to be sunny and nice tomorrow afternoon, so I will get some pics with wax, wet-look tire, and the wheel shine on :D:D . The girlfriend already despises the thing, especially since I have plans for it already. The bug guard is going on almost immediately and soon will come some chrome step bars.

sweet J........that's an awesome b-day.

and yeah the Missouri emissions stuff is really screwed up.......some ppl can't pass with good cars and 1 year my car had blue smoke that smelled like rotten eggs coming from the exhaust for a month......2 weeks into that time I get a letter in the mail that says "Your car has passed the Mobile Emissions Test" (basically they have these things on the roads that take a picture of your license and a wiff of your exhaust and decide if it passed the test).......I was cracking up so hard.....I had to send in like $10 to get my official info saying I passed the emissions and it wasn't a scam....it was real........and it was dated for the time my car had that nasty exhaust problem.......

so wacked

(edited)

Yeah those mobile things are so bs. Like they can single out YOUR car's exhaust among like 30 more driving by at the same time. The other day my dad took the *laughs* 88 Cadillac Fleetwood *laughs again* (that car kills me, looks like it belongs on Martin Luther King Drive with a huge black guy in an orange pimp suit driving) to the emissions test place. The kid that had messed up the test in my celica like 3 times was the first one to do the test. Needless to say he messed up on the cadi too. BUT!! before this the guy that was inspecting the gas cap (another laugh) pulls the car up to the rollers. He proceeds to rev the engine up pretty good several times and then accidentally lets off the brake. The car went sideways and screeched/popped over the outer edge of the treadmill thing. He quickly looked around and backed the car back to the rollers trying to be smooth about it.

So moral of the story.. If your state ever adopts the emissions tests BOYCOTT IT! :D:angry:

Edited by General J

Ohio has em...haven't had an issue...YET...I was at the Lexus dealer when a guy came in saying his gas cap was bad. The dealer told him the emission people were incompetent, switched his cap with one on the lot and sent him on his way.

I see a very valid use for these tests, but, as usual the follow through is horrid. I see just as many blue smoke cars running around as before.

I am happy to say that our Lexis RX300 got one of the lowest emission ratings the guy had ever seen. Must be the good fuel I use in it :D

I wish my parents read these boards (B-Day tomorrow) No ride in sight. Of course I am going to be 27 so I guess the days of a free car (I've never had one before) are long behind me :)

Anyway, nice ride man, congrats, and take care of it.

• 2 weeks later...

aaah, I would love to man, but I need a college car, something that is small, reliable, and good on gas. The thing that is getting me right now is insurance. I have never had a wreck or a ticket of any kind, and they are saying it's gonna be $900 every six months. This is 4 companies I have talked to also. The last time I paid insurance it was $112 every six months, it was just liability though. I don't know if I'll even be able to get a car if I have to pay this kind of insurance.

well of course liability is gonna be that low.

but $900 every six months for full coverage is NOT bad for a single (unmarried right?) 27 year old man.

by the by....my first car was free from my parents....and after buying my current car I want my old one back....was an Oldsmobile 88 (model) 88 (year) that hit 230,000 miles when we GAVE IT away to the salvation army.....puppy was still running great.

$900 is pretty bad depending on what kind of vehicle you are talking about. I pay that for my Dodge Ram. Thats $150/mo...pretty bad. When I get my new sports car I will be paying $250/mo which is also pretty bad for a 6 cylinder. Insurance for me on a Vette right now is $350/mo...prohibitive for me to even think about getting one of those

:(