My woodshop

ConGregation

Well I actually do not have one. I only have a big stack of Red Oak. But Im going to start one I thought I would detail my order of purchases.

The first one is the Table saw.

BT3100lg.jpg

BT3100

Right now they are offering the accesory kit free as a rebate. So $300 for the saw and kit isnt bad at all. Its no cabinet saw and really not a contractors saw but a lot of people swear its the best saw for the money!

At the same time I will purchase a router... Probably this one

RE180PLlg.jpg

RE180

But I might go cheap just for starters.

router2016.bmp.jpg

This is on off brand for around $40. Im sure I would have to replace it over time but might go cheap just for starters. But I do only plan on buying quality router bits. Probably Whiteside or CMT.

Those will be the initial purchases along with some clamps, bits, and odds and ends. Wont buy a dado stack at first :(

THEN will come...

Drill Press.

DP120lg.jpg

DP120

I figure the one thing I can go cheap on and not regret it is the drill press. Hence the Ryobi.

But then I have the big dilemma. What to do for a bandsaw. I could stick with the trend and get a Ryobi:

BS901lg.jpg

BS901

But would like a better one for sure. One with more throat so I can resaw decent sized boards. Maybe the Delta

B00005QEVV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

28-231

Probably though I will just go cheap for starters. This is definetely just a hobby and an expensive one at that.

A lot of money. Eentually of course I would like a small planer and a jointer. But that will probably be way down the road. Of course I didnt include smaller items just as orbital sander or small hand tools. I'm beginning to wonder if this is even worth it.

A buddy of mine is/was a cabinet maker. When I got my Miter/chop Saw the first thing he said was "get a new blade" (it's a nice dewalt saw too). Course I only use it for 2x4's so I'm not worried. Anyway, as far as a table saw I'd say that if you get a good blade you should be fine with what you have above. I guess the bigger ones with more amps will cut faster cause of the RPMs but you probably aren't going to be in a hurry anyway.

Ok, where do I start.....

Table Saw and Blades: I played with that saw at Home Depot Rev after you posted about it befrore, looks like a really nice introductory saw. The only thing that I don't particularly care for is the way the sliding table sticks out to the front of the saw. From experience, I walk 360s around my table while I'm doing different kinds of things with my table saw, I just know my hip would be black and blue from banging into it! I had a fun day yesterday, let me tell you about it, had a nail go through my shoe and into my foot at work in the morning, the work truck I was driving caught on fire and smoke filled the cab (while I was driving) after lunch, and then my bro-in-law called to let me know that he burnt up my table saw that he had borrowed!!!! So I'm in the market for a new table saw as well. I am torn between two things, spending some bucks for a saw that I know will last and hold up to what I dish out to it....(I have been ripping 4x4s lately and its a huge strain on the small motors for the contractor saws) and price. I have birthday/new home/anniversary presents all coming, so my wife is prepared to let me spend a little more than I normally would. So my choice is either pay a little more and have a bigger saw for longer, or go with the less expensive and risk buying another saw a few years down the road. This is the one I am contemplating buying: Dewalt Woodworker Saw. Back to Revs delima though, I realize you don't wanna go for something like that when you are just getting started. As long as you aren't going to be cutting overly large pieces of wood, ie ripping 4x4s, than I would say that saw would be perfect for beginners. Go get em Rev. As far as blades go, you will find you want different blades for the job you are doing, if you are rough cutting, ripping, and cross cutting you will wanna go with a 24-40 tooth blade, if you are finnish cutting on lumber you will want a 60-80 tooth blade, if you are working with plywood, you are gonna want one with more than 80 teeth. I have found that you can pick up a pretty good blade for around $25-50 each at the hardware store.

*edit: Oh yeah, you mentioned using a stacked dado. I have both an adjustable and stacked dade, and I much prefer the stacked, you are going the right direction there. But, a problem I had with my old table saw, is that because it wasn't "made" to cut dados, half of my stacked dado was worthless. The arbor wasn't long enough to hold more than a 1/2" of my dado and the nut still hold. That might also be something to look for if you plan on using your table saw to cut dados.

I have already shared with you my thoughts about the plunge router.

Band Saw: Haven't looked up those models yet, but I can 100% tell you, do not buy one with plastic blade wheels. Make sure is has cast or steel blade wheels. The one I have has plastic wheels, I was going cheapest without knowing what I was getting into. I have had the thing for 3 years and had to replace the wheels 4 times due to warping. The plastic is just not rigid enough to keep a straight cut as well. The blade will run on you something fierce.

Edited by Bubblegum Bandit

Thanks for the advice!

I'm definetely going to have to go cheap if I go ahead with this. That DeWalt looks nice. And definetely worth the money if you using commercially and cutting big stock. The BT3100 is a little unorthodox but seems to be a big hit. Check out the BT3x forums at www.ryobitools.com and there is another great site for it at www.bt3central.com Actually Im spending more on the TS than I have to which is something Im not doing on anything else so far ;)